string settles in the same place

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter 740

string settles in the same place

Post by hunter 740 »

Am I crazy,it seems no matter how many times I twist my string it settles in the same place which is just above the line closest to the limbs.It shoots great and is fast so I'm going to leave it there.I'm shooting a phoenx, its probably not a problem just strange.Has any one else seen this before.
8up

Post by 8up »

I'm a newbie when it comes to crossbows but my first worry would be that you have some strands breaking. Then you twist it up and more break. I am not saying thats whats happening but it would be my first thought. It would seem to be some sort of string failure. A good string has to get shorter if its being twisted the right way.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

not breaking.

"Breaking in" maybe.

The more you twist the string, the closer to the limbs the string WILL sit. with a new string though.... over time, as the string breaks in.... it will start creeping away from the limbs.

tighten 'er up. leave 'er over night..... heck leave her for a weekend.

then once it has sat for a little bit, and the string has stretched out, try again. I bet it will perform as expected.

The "Sweet Spot" seems to be 1 and 1/8th of an inch from the spot where the rail meets the riser.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Boo

Post by Boo »

Are you twisting one side counter clockwise and how many full twists? Is it a Flemish string? Is it Dacron? Are you doing anything else to the string?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
8up

Post by 8up »

Rage I said break not breaking in because even a new string will settle differently with enough twist and hw said no matter how many twist he put in it. I was thinking on the side of caution not knowing just how many twist he had tried. Seeing a vertical bow string break once was enough to make me cautious.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The more you twist the farther it should get from the limbs, as it stretches/creeps it gets closer to the limbs, increasing the stroke as well as increasing the speed.
You only need to twist one side of the string
Being closer to the rail (limbs) will give you a couple feet per second speed increase, but also makes for more noise and wear on the bow.
Dacron will stretch/creep fast while Fast Flight will still creep but not as noticeably fast.
If it is a Fast flight string you are getting close to the danger zone with your string is that close to the rail, but only if you shoot often. Dacron would not be so bad, but would help explain why you are having a hard time getting a visible difference as you twist the string.
It would be impossible for the string not to grow shorter by twisting it, bringing it farther from the limbs with each twist.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

It must be a FFF string and if new it is still stretching.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I was getting ready to shoot a new FFF string. Put it on the bow and had a series of storms and other things that kept me from shooting. 32 days later, it took 6 twists to get the string back to my perferred brace height. This settling is normal. Keep a eye on it . . .it's very likely to settle a little more.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

When I was a FFF addict, lol, I set them initially about 1/4" above the high line. Seemed to save an adj or two.
"Eze 18:21"