Anyone shoot a .204?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Anyone shoot a .204?

Post by Pydpiper »

I got some great personal news in the mail today that will drastically increase my hunting opportunities and to celebrate I have decided on a new rifle (the same way I celebrate everything these days :? ..)
I decided on a .204, and today I found it in a slick little Tikka, synthetic and stainless.
Right now for a hot rod gun I shoot a .220 Swift, not really comparable to anything out there right now, but this .204 cartridge seems to run a close second, and I want it, bad.
Anybody else use one of these? It just may be that lethal step in to my world of reloading.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Congrats. You can reach out and touch some yotes or turn crows into feathered puff balls at distance. Just break her in right, then grin. Find a commercial load she likes and grin some more. Try Winchester factory loads and keep your brass for future handloading.You will probably need .17 cleaning rods for the .20. I have many great .204 articles in my Varmint Hunter Magazines. I can photo some if you would like.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks Norm! I have the .17 cleaning stuff from my HMR and a .17 Rem I just cleaned up. I am using the Otis stuff now, very impressive.
They are known to shoot factory ammo OK?
I have been on the fence about this rifle for a long time, looks like it is time.
Oh, and Happy Birthday! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Yes I have a 204 and Love it. Unfortunately I have it for sale right now. It is the funnest gun to shoot ever except for the plain old 22 ofcourse. I shoot the 32 grain Hornadys out of it and you can watch them strike the target it recoils so little. It is good out to 325 for sure if it isnt to windy of a day. I have it in a Savage Model 11 with standard sporter barrel. I also have a Swift [1950 Model 70] and a 243 so it is a toss up what I take whistle pig hunting. I must admit I really like the 243 the most for hunting, but for just shooting off the bench, nothing comes close to the 204. It is not very fur friendly if you are selling furs.

Here is a good article even though it is old.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_n6180938
Last edited by Golden Eagle on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

There are some really good predator hunting shows on WILD TV. On the two shows I watch, One is Predator Quest and the Other is Canadian ( I can't remember the name) both of the hosts shoot the .204 and they rave about them. They do an awesome job.