Afternoon Hunting for Turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

Afternoon Hunting for Turkey

Post by huntman »

Does anyone have any tactics they can share when chasing a gobbler in the afternoon hours. I have always hunted them mornings. Is it the same approach? I would imagine it will be more difficult because they are off their rost and out and about. Is it a food source and calling? or Walking and calling till you get a response and then sit and wait? Any help would be great i want to get out friday afternoon. Thanks
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

hunting turkeys in the afternoon is the same,,,, normally the hens will leave a tom in the late morning, he will be looking for some girls . around noon or after start calling then when you find one set up as close as you can then call him in,dont try to get too close let him come to you,they will quit gobblin when they are coming so set quiet & when you think he isnt coming wait another 1/2 hour. he might be there but you dont know it. good luck

h .j.
they say he is still up there.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I agree with hatcher jack. Toms are always on the make, they may not be as eager as first morning but they will respond if worked right.
Late afternoon is also a good time to put one to bed for next morning.