Got one this morning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

Got one this morning

Post by catcher »

Well I have wanted really badly to take my oldest son with me this year. He is 7 years old and really wanted to see one up close and struting before I shot it. No presure right. So I roosted some last night and we were up at 4:15 and out the door shortly after that. After a twenty five minute walk. We were set up to them about 90 yards away with one hen decoy about 30 yards behind and out from us. 5:40 he started to gobble and around 5:50 I gave him so soft tree calls which he responded to. At around 6:00 I gave him a fly down call which he double gobbled to. Then he flew down and gobbled on the ground. I knew he had some hens with him because I heard them come down as well. So I knew to kill him I had to get his girlfriends over to visit my decoy. So some light calling and content purring he was on the way. But no gobbling. I thought they were close and it was killing me so I gave him a loud cut. And he gobbled and was only about 40 yards but I could not see him do to the brush. Then I saw the boss hen walking at a quick pace to check out my decoy. I was praying that the gobbler would show him self. Then about 30 seconds later I saw him and he was struuting with 3 other hens with him. He was about 25 yards and walking with the hens to check out my decoy. I said to my son do you see him? And he said no. I could not beleive it because he was so close. So I took a glance at him and he was looking at the decoy still. So I said no not there look to the left. Now they were 15 yards and broadside full Strut. I said is that good enough for you. He said ya shoot him. So off went a load of #4's. My son almost beat the shot to the bird. He had a hold of his leg while he flopped before I even had another shell chambered. It was an awesome experience to have your son right beside you at that moment. I would not trade it for the world. So details on the bird are. He weighs 19.11 lbs and had an even 10 inch beard and 1 1/8 spurs. An awesome opening day for me and my son.

Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations and a great picture too! It's a nice memory you've given you boy, I know you'll both cherish the moment forever.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Congrats on a great morning. Glad to see your son is so enthusiastic about it. Must have been quite a thrill for the both of you. :D
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
saxman

Post by saxman »

Way to go my brother,Thats a fine turkey,I know you are proud. :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Very nice indeed! Great story and a Boss Bird. Congrats.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Fox

Post by Fox »

Great story, nice bird
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations on your bonus {Turkey} The Day with your Son in the Woods is Priceless :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
wabi
diesel

Post by diesel »

Congrates to you both. :D
8up

Post by 8up »

Great Memories, Great story, and a Great bird Congrats.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Digger

Post by Digger »

Congrats, good stury, great bird.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Beautiful Bird. Congratulations!!!
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Congrats man great bird, great job by your lad to stay still, calm and silent to get the bird close. He is a hunter for sure showing that much patients at that age and a great teacher your are. I am a firm believer in teaching them young, I tip my hat. I can't wait till my girls are old enough and get them in the field.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn