tagged out on a limb hanger

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

tagged out on a limb hanger

Post by catcher »

Well after getting that bird on Friday we took Saturday off. So Sunday morning found myself and my son at a different farm that I hunt. We could only set up to them after we heard them gobble. But the only problem was that they were two farms over and i did not have permission to hunt there. So we ended up setting up about 350 yards from them. And said to my son that is as close to them as we can go so we are going to have to call them over. So we could see one tom and three jakes in a field struting and gobbling.This was at about 6:30 and could hear another gobbler in the hard woods gobbling. So after an hour of calling every 10 minutes I decided to get the gobble shaker out and gave it a try. And the gobbler in the woods really liked that and was coming hard. So the four in the field heard that he was coming and decided to come check me out as well. I did not get a decoy out so when the four entered the field I was in they just came slowly. With the tom in the group strutting every ten steps or so. So I said to my son do you see the one struting that is the one I am going to shoot so get ready. Then all of a sudden that gobbler that was hammering in the woods all morning sounded like he was getting closer so I gave hin a call and he gobbled and was coming fast. He poked his head out of the woods and saw those four heading my way. And he started to run full speed in my direction. I gave a quick call so he would know where I was and he put it in overdrive and ran the full eighty yards straight at me. I said get ready this is the one I am going to shoot. He never changed speed until i finally shot him at 15 feet. I had to shoot him on the run because he was going to run us over. It was a pretty intense few minutes there at the end. By the time he piled up he was only about 9 or 10 feet away. It was a easy retrieve for my son. I was still recovering from the shot. I did not shoulder it very good and those 31/2 flight controls by federal gave me a pretty nice welt on my bicep. I told him after I shot not to expect this every year getting a nice big Tom every time we go out. Right now he thinks this turkey hunting is pretty easy. It was a really nice Boss Tom. he weighed 22.13 pounds and had a 10.5 beard and the real impressive details are his spurs coming in at 1 1/2 inches on one and just a little under 1 1/2 on the other. So far I am leading our local big turkey competition in the area. But there is 35 days left in the season so it might not hold.
Last edited by catcher on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Awesome bird! I too tagged out this morning. Not as impressive as that one, but a mature tom none the less. Congrats! I guess now it's time to dig out my fishing gear :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
catcher

Post by catcher »

Ya I Know what you mean on the fishing gear. I am going to Quebec on the long weekend for some lake Trout fishing. At least the turkey's are out if the way now. Congrats on your second bird also.
saxman

Post by saxman »

WOW,that is a limb hanger.
CONGRATS :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dutchhunter

very nice

Post by dutchhunter »

thats a great bird nice job congrates .
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice big bird,story and photos.
Congrats!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Congrats!! You guys are killing me. We haven't had any success yet. We could have taken a Jake on a couple of occasions but we're holding out for a Tom. :D

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

That is a Great picture of you and your Boy :wink: It gets no better than that!!! Hunting with your son and bagging a really nice Bird :D Congratulations :) [How long before your son can shoot um up :?:]
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Another fine bird, go guys are killing me :wink: . Congrats
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go! :D
Grizz
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Congrats on your second!! Sure sounds like it was exciting. Great to have the young one along for the hunt.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Great story and bird that is something you and your son can talk about for years to come congrats!!
The best things in life are not things!!
catcher

Post by catcher »

dick195252 wrote:That is a Great picture of you and your Boy :wink: It gets no better than that!!! Hunting with your son and bagging a really nice Bird :D Congratulations :) [How long before your son can shoot um up :?:]
Hi dick195252 My son will not be able to pull the trigger until he is twelve. But in a few years he will be at the range with me. He is seven now so he has five years left till he can shoot with me hunting. But he does have a pellet gun and is becoming an excellent shot with that. Can not wait until he can do it and neither can he.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Awesome bird, I would love to see one of these actually hanging from a limb by the spurs, maybe one day I will get that chance.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Beauty bird ! Congrat's .... Watch you dont poke yer eye out with those spurrs ! :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "