phoenix in a fire?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RayGunter

phoenix in a fire?

Post by RayGunter »

I have a Phoenix that has been through a garage fire. The bow was not in the flames but was hanging from a ceiling hook about 12 feet from actual flames.

I would estimate that the heat was in the 300* range for about 10 maybe 15 minutes. The bow was unstrung. I dont see any damage to any of the bow surfaces even the string looks ok.

So hears the question. Would that amount of heat for that period of time effect the limbs? I sure wouldn't want to get hit up the side of my head with half a limb.

I'm adding the bow to my list of items lost in the fire to the insurance company just in case.
Thanks,
Ray
[url=http://www.huntingfootage.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=782]Some short clips from my InfraRed Video Gamecam[/url]
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I would pose the question to Bill T or the "Dude".
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I've been in the smoke, fire and water damage restoration business for 19 years and believe that I can help. It is a known fact that even though most items effected by smoke and heat will be ok, the fact that your bow was exposed to these conditions will "NEVER" leave your mind. Most insurance adjusters are not experienced in specialty archery equipment and may ask you for a letter from Excalibur or a dealer explaining that the bow should be replaced. I would contact "the Dude" and tell him what happened and see if he'll write something up about heat exposures adverse effects on crossbows. I believe that there are warnings in your owners manual basically stating the same. Now, as I said, this is what I do for a living and would be happy to remove the smoke odor from the bow for you at now charge or you can call a dry cleaning businesses and ask if they have an ozone chamber, if they do, ask what they would charge you to have your bow put in the chamber for 12 hours or so. You'd have to replace the string and if the is anything rubber on your bow, it must be removed before entering the ozone chamber. If I can be of any assistance, please give me a call @ ABC Restoration 252-633-2414

God Bless,

Ray
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Bill and I just discussed your situation with the heat exposure and Bill thinks the limbs would be OK as the heat threshold is around 400F. First I thought of when I saw the post was "the Phoenix rising from the ashes..." since thats the legend origins of the name..sort of ironic!

Peter
Fox

Post by Fox »

It all depends on what the actual limb are made of, what type of composite and so on.

I would go with the "better safe than sorry" thought process if you have no idea how hot the fire was and fo how long.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

The limbs are made of high-quality uni-directional fiberglass and with the new resins these days are very durable. The limbs will not blow up and if they do cause a problem in the future we will work with you. If there is no external signs of damage I'm sure you will be fine.

Peter
RayGunter

Post by RayGunter »

Thanks all
Thanks Dude

I think I'll restring with new string and see if a cotton ball will snag any very small splinters that I cant feel.
Thanks,
Ray
[url=http://www.huntingfootage.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=782]Some short clips from my InfraRed Video Gamecam[/url]
csharkie

Post by csharkie »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Bill and I just discussed your situation with the heat exposure and Bill thinks the limbs would be OK as the heat threshold is around 400F. First I thought of when I saw the post was "the Phoenix rising from the ashes..." since thats the legend origins of the name..sort of ironic!

Peter
LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing! Could make for an interesting marketing campaign.