Turkeys not very vocal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fox

Turkeys not very vocal

Post by Fox »

Well went out this morning near Stratford, saw 3 hens, one of which fought off some geese and hung around my blind for 40 minutes but nothing was making any noise. Dad has 2 jakes, and 4 toms around him on saturday, and only one made any noise at all as well.

Any ideas? I thought maybe the cold snap shut them down but I figured if the hens were around me a tom should be at least close.
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

Went out today at 10:00 and when we were walking to our spot we heard a tom gobbling. We tried to call it in but we didn't even see him. All we called in was a hen.
Fox

Post by Fox »

I may try heading out later tomorrow, see how my sleep goes tonight, 4am comes real fast when you are used to hitting the hay at 1.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Seem to be acting different all over. I have a friend over near Belleville that has tagged out in two outings, both times he was out after 9am. First bird gobbled his head off, the second came in silent. The second was 25lbs :shock: . He was surprised that a tom that big would not want to announce his presence. I told him, "They don't get that big by being stupid."
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Those darn geese.Grrrrr.
I think we had relatives of those two on sunday.
I should have.....
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
JRS

Post by JRS »

Had several birds sound off this morning around 5:45am, one in particular kept at it for at least an hour after hitting the ground.
Fox

Post by Fox »

There is no way I will be out at 4 tomorrow, but I think around 8am through lunch would change it up a bit.

I thought this seemed odd. The last couple years from first light until a couple hours in the gobblers sounded off strong.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

some are just strange.. i hunted oneday in the rain and blowing wind to have one tom gobble about 25 times. I went back the following 2 days after him in the sunny perfect conditions only to never hear him make a sound. I find it funny that ill hunt 1-2 birds in the same spot, then out of no where 4-5 days later I hear 3 different birds in the same woods that I didnt hear before. Its hard to say what makes them gobble oneday and not the next. Usually if one doesnt gobble much he's been shot at, spooked, or has plenty women close by :D
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

They're not acting right this year for me either. Nothing much or at all a lot of mornings. Then around 7am or later they sound off a few times. I haven't had one of those "hot bird" days this year. Last year they went nuts. Still tagged one with the xbow. Was sitting in the blind in a BIG thunder storm and between rain and lightning he fed around the field edge. When he hit 20 yds it was over. Went maybe 10 yds after the shot. Now if that nice one I got a quick look at will come in. We just planted sunflowers, beans and other seeds in the 6 acre food plot so it should be full of birds Sat. digging up seeds & sprouts.