Turkey calling....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LondonDave

Turkey calling....

Post by LondonDave »

Does anyone care to share their successful techniques for calling in a Tom? We spent the weekend and Monday and Tuesday evening giving it our best shot but couldn't get one to come any closer than about 75 yards. I don't know if we're over calling or under calling or making the right types of calls (yelps, clucks, purrs, etc.) I went out yesterday and bought a decoy set (Feather Flex Love Triangle) to see if we could get the big boys to come in to chase off the Jakes but no luck. Last night was actually really slow compared to what we had been seeing previously. I don't know if the cold and strong winds had anything to do with it.

To give you an idea what we've been doing.....We're hunting an open field area where birds are coming into from surrounding bush. We've been getting the Toms to gobble no problem and they have been seeing our single hen decoy. We've had lone Toms start to come but they hang up at about the 75 yard mark.

For those who have been successful, this year and in the past, what has been your typical scenario that gets your Tom within range.

Thanks,

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

some times they will hang up & wont come,,,,,,,,,some times dont use a decoy & call lightly let them find you,normally if they cant see the decoy but hear your calls they will come looking . when they quit gobbling they are coming, when you dont think they are coming & you want to leave ,,,,,stay another 1/2 hour. be careful some times they will come in behind you looking for that hen. some times they come a running or flying,,,,you cant out guess them,,,dont ever give up.

( turkeys are very unpredictable)

hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Try adding another decoy, either a jake or a breeder Tom (such as Pretty Boy) to create jealousy. Once you have him coming, stop calling, most new turkey hunters overcall. If he was already henned-up he's not likely to come until the hen he's with leaves .Hens usually come to the gobbler in nature and they call while doing so. Play hard to get with just enough putts and purrs to keep him interested. Tone it down or quit once he starts your way. Did he hang up because of a natural barrier like water or brush? If so you'll have to change your setup to avoid such barriers.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

We tried a set up with a hen and 2 jakes (passive and agressive) yesterday but no luck. The birds weren't coming out in the open like they have been previously. It was cold and really windy.

The hang ups have not been because of barriers. I think it is just like you said, the Tom was expecting the hen to come to him....obviously wasn't going to happen with the decoy. He got fed up and left, both times.

We did try and go silent at times to see if that would get him moving but still no luck. I also think we were over calling at times.

We're going to try again with out hen/jake set up when the weather is better. I also bought a Primos B-Mobile Tom off ebay that I'm waiting to come in. We'll try and throw that into the mix. We're also going to try more in the woods where they have to come looking a little more.

When you first set up how much do you call and how often? Just until you get a gobble? We're really just winging it with the calling thing and could be doing more harm then good sometimes.

Thanks,

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Boo

Post by Boo »

Use another person to call and place him further behind you. If you really think its hung up for good then stalk him! Don't be afraid to rush him. A strutting bird will give you 4 to 5 seconds before flying. One that isn't gives almost 3 seconds.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Boo,

We tried something similar to that yesterday. I really thought yesterday was going to be it but the birds weren't out like they were before.

Yesterday I set up under a big old tree out in the middle of this cow pasture/field we're hunting in. Riley set up near where the birds usually come in from and within range of where the one hung up and strutted for along time. I had the decoys about 35 yards out infront of me. The plan was that when Mr. Tom came in he would either walk right past Riley or sturtt infront of him and he would take the shot or if he caught sight of the decoy set up and b-lined if for them I would take the shot. Mr. Tom just didn't come out yesterday. We had some gobbling in the distance but that was it.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
DJ test

Post by DJ test »

Turkeys are more cautious on windy days and do not respond to calls as well with the added noise. If you get a turkey responding,pause a bit before calling.Let him look for you.He knows exactly where that call came from and by over calling you can hang him up about as you say,75 yds. away.( He expects the hen to come to him)
Use purrs and soft calls to lure him in closer if he hangs up. Over calling on a call shy bird is definately a sure way Not to SCORE
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Hello Londondave,Sounds like you style of turkey hunting is similar to mine.My first thoughts would be since your sort of penned up to move around well while your working the birds,I would call straight at the birds till he hangs up then throw the call sound around to your side directing it away from the bird and he may figure the hens are moving out and may make up the distance and move closer to ya.I've had good luck doing this and also useing the fighting call to get the tom to move in.Good luck and keep patience as it will work outImage
Give it a try,What the heck!
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Thanks Don and Bucko. Good info. I'll give them both a try next time we are out.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Understand what each call you make really means. Once you have an idea what you are saying to them could change the hunt.

Go get a copy of "Learning the Ropes of Wild Turkey Hunting" in Ontario

you will learn the meanings and how to do the call on your friction calls...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Thanks Adrian.

Any idea where I can pick up a copy of that book in the London area?

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Dave, it is a learning DVD that Goble's had. If you can not find one contact me and I can get you one....
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Adrian,

I'll likely be in Gobles this week so I'll look for it. If they don't have it I'll contact you.

Thanks,

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I was looking at that site earlier and listening to the calls. The people here at work were all looking at me funny. :D

I joke with the guys at work about a couple of the girls here. They laugh like hens. I've suggested I should take them out hunting with me.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope