string stretch and STS questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

liaf

string stretch and STS questions

Post by liaf »

I am a newbie with x-bows therefore I have some questions. last week my original servings broke on my phoenix(app 200 shots) so I put on the spare xcel string that came with the right stuff package. At that time it was at the highbrace mark, I did not shoot it for a week and when I looked at it today it was halfway between the 2 marks. I decided that it needed to be twisted so i did it and it went back to the high mark. I then put on the new STS which I had bought and went to shoot the bow. i found out that the bow was shooting app 1.5 inches low at 10 yards so i adjusted it. I then went out to 20 yards and it appearred to be dead on. Is it normal that a string will stretch over a weeks time w/o being shot? Next observation was the left sts is not "flush' with the riser but the rt one is "flush" with the riser. By this I mean when installed I can pass my fingernail between the left STS and riser whereas the rt one is solidly against the riser. Has anyone noticed this on their STS. I can say one thing the STS allows me to see the arrows hit the target and I no longer wear ear plugs when shooting my phoenix so it does cut down on vibration and noise. I have a BOO string w/ cat whiskers on order and I am hoping that the noise/vibration will decrease even more. I have to admit that i am starting to realize that its near impossible to quiet an xbow down to the same level of a compound bow. Any input positive or negative is appreciated. pete
Boo

Post by Boo »

You are right, it will never be as quiet as a compound. The crossbow is very inefficient with it's energy. Much of the excess energy is converted into noise.
Here is the problem with your Excel string. First the material by nature likes to creep. Second, there are 32 strands there and all a bit uneven. So as each strand creeps the string gets longer. When all the strands have elongated to the same dimensions it will stop creeping(hehehe as much). The strings are made by Danny Miller as well as can be expected. He has two machines which is why some of you guys have different experiences. Danny intends to make them too short so they eventually become the correct length without excessive twisting. The strings are very low in cost so there is no money to pre-stretch them before serving which is the real reason the servings don't last. To pre-stretch a string it has to stay on a jig for at least half an hour.
Every STS that I have has a very small gap between the riser and the body of the STS. One side may be different from the other simply because of the two machining tolerances and the fact that one side wants to pull away when tightened and the other wants to move towards the riser.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Boo said it all [He's the man on this subject for sure]
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Boo's da man! :lol: :lol:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

One little negative comment on the STS. You can no longer check brace height w/ a glance. I cock my bow[s] and pull the rubber stops off the rods and lower string w/ rope cocker to check bh.
"Eze 18:21"