Rubber boots again!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Rubber boots again!!

Post by chris4570 »

Maybe it is just me, but I have not had any luck with rubber boots. That's not entirely true. I had a pair of Sorels that lasted 6-7 years. But my last two pair, Redhead and Lacrosse Alpha Burlys, have not been durable. I wore the Redheads out in a couple months. The Lacrosse started leaking after one season of hunting.

I prefer rubber boots for the lack of scent, and their supposed waterproofness. Is there another brand manufactorer you guys might recommend. What about the Irish Setters with scent ban? Are these truely scent free?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Fox

Post by Fox »

I hear you, I had a pair of those green CT boots. Dad used his set for 15 years, and still has them as his backups. My boots made it less than 2 seasons, wore them on the quad and after a nice rough ride melted them on the side of the block, oh well buy another pair.

I moved on to Rocky, no idea about the scent properties but they are warm.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I have a pair of Irish Setters. I can't remember the name of the model but they don't carry them anymore. They are non-insulated neoprene type liner that are supposed to be waterproof....not. They have the "scent ban" label but I don't know how sent free they are. They got wet when I was at a NAVHDA test a couple of weeks ago and took forever to dry out and now smell like stinky old socks. I still like them, they are very comfortable. I have a pair of the Outrider 1000 insulated knee boots and I really like them but they aren't much good for anything other than winter weather. I've also tried the Shadow Trek Viper knee boots. They are very stiff and very narrow.

Columbia makes a nice looking rubber boot. Probably pricey though.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Boo

Post by Boo »

I bought a pair of le Chameau boots. Not the rubberized leather (I can't justify spending that much). They are non-insulated and nice and flexible. My socks didn't go swimming into the toe area after walking for a few hours which is a first!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dutchhunter

BOOTS

Post by dutchhunter »

I AM THINKING ABOUT THE DREAM SESON BOOT BUY SCENT LOCK SEEN THEM ON DRURY OUTDOORS TV SHOW ,ANYBODY TRIED THEM THEY ARE PRICEY
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, here's the way I look at it ... if your rubber boots are leaking and it isn't from fang holes, you're doing all right! :shock: :wink:

Burlys here. Pretty well snake-proof, if you wear your pants outside them. :D
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive owned to pairs of the burlys and mine have yet to leak.. I bought another only because I wore the inside out from walking. But I still use those as just rainyday boots for the backyard. They are the best boots ived owned in my opinion. I bought both pairs are basspro for 69bucks on same everyyear so even if they leak after a years use, i would be happy with them.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I use Baffin boots. Made In Canada. I have a pair uninsulated that I use in the spring and another pair with removal liners for winter trapping. They are great!! Best dang rubber boot I've had. Very warm, fit good, nice for walking and extremely durable!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My wife brought me home a pair of Winchester boots from Michigan, after looking around I realized they are the same boot as the knee high Rockey's I keep seeing. I wear them through the river and have not had a problem yet, only had them since last deer season though.
Very cool thing about them, there are small "ice cleats" in the soles, they stay inside the boot until the temperature drops below freezing, then they pop out and give great traction on ice. I have managed to rip a couple of the cleats out on the foot rest of the quad though.
I will definitely get the same boots again, warm in the deepest of colds and comfortable on the warm days.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

leather lace up boots
rubber and leather lace up boots
rubber pull on boots

Ok were not talking leather boots......but I've got some Irish Setter lace up's that have stood up some water exposure. .....but if you're walking through wet snake grass on a Sep morn elk hunt......and you're putting on lots of miles and lots of hours on foot......you're going to get wet. Leather waterproof boots are not waterproof. Still you cannot beat leather boots for comfort on lonnnnnggggggggggggg hikes. Have some Matterhorns that have lasted for years.

We are talking rubbber and leather top lace up boots it looks like. I don't have any of those right now..................but I can see the benefits..........more water protection and some comfort for walking

I'd wager that we've all had some exposure to rubber pull-on boots. I've got the standard green boots with felt liners and a nylon top w/tie. Waterproof.......oh yeah. Terrible for walking in though..........heavy, large, clumsy.

I've got some "Muck" boots...........rubber bottoms and neoprene tops. These are the best rubber pull-on boots that I have ever had. They are not large and not heavy. They almost hug your feet, ankles and lower calves.....you can actually walk a considerable distance in them.

I don't have any confidence at all in claims of scent-proofing boots. Rubber soled boots aren't going to absorb scent like leather soled boots so there is an advantage for rubber soles. It comes down to what you want out of the boots...............Rubber pull-on boots for walking distances are not good. Thumbs-up for light, waterproof, lace up boots for walking long distance.

Thats how I see it.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Yup I bought those cheapy CT rubber boots on sael once I think for $24 bucks. This is my 5th season using them
JRS

Re: Rubber boots again!!

Post by JRS »

chris4570 wrote:Maybe it is just me, but I have not had any luck with rubber boots. That's not entirely true. I had a pair of Sorels that lasted 6-7 years. But my last two pair, Redhead and Lacrosse Alpha Burlys, have not been durable. I wore the Redheads out in a couple months. The Lacrosse started leaking after one season of hunting.
Had Rocky knee high Scent Free boots and didn't get 2 years out of them before the rubber cracked and started leaking. I now buy the Redheads when they are on sale in the fall at BPS. I'm on my 3rd year for my current pair, and have another new pair in the basement when these give out. For $30 a pair on sale, I find it doesn't bother me to toss them when they give out. I also have Irish Setter lace ups and 17" pull on boots. Even though they are supposed to be waterproof with a membrane, I never press my luck by going into standing water if I can avoid it. I believe that the only truly waterproof boots are rubber boots.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Kamiks from CT I've went through 2 pair in the last 20 years, just keep replacing the felt. Would still be on the first pair but I had a tree peg break once and it sliced the boot open. You can't go wrong with these boots and unlike other cheapies the sole is not bright but dark so great for in hte tree.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

ehntr,

I have a pair of Irish Setter wingshooters and a pair of Matterhorns (police style leather lace up). Both very comfy. I wouldn't call them waterproof, maybe water resitant. They take a quick dunk in the water and feet will stay dry but not any extended "wading".

I love my wingshooter but that mud shedding sole comes at a price, traction is not the best. I'm going to look at getting some Danners this year.

I'm pretty fortunate that my benefits at work cover "Orthopedic" shoes and Irish Setters and Danners are "certified" by the Orthopedic Foundation of America so they qualify. That and a "Podorthist" that knows the ins and outs of the health insurance game. :D

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've had a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burly Sports for about 4 years now and love them. The Sport bottom fits more like a sneaker than a rubber boot so they are quite comfortable. The upper is rubber coated neoprene. I got the camo version and they work great for all around hunting. They fit well enough that walking a mile or more is not an issue.

DuckHunt