Interested Turkeys!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bbbwb

Interested Turkeys!!!

Post by bbbwb »

Had an excellent hunt on the opening weekend and filled a tag. The bird was not huge but at this stage now, a bird is a bird. However, in the time spent since then, it has been very frustrating. Have seen hens 2 or 3 together with no toms and toms with good beards- 6 " plus together without hens. A group -Toms with their ladies - refuse to break off individually or as a group and come to decoys. Have not seen many single hens which I interpret to mean that maybe nesting is not really in full swing.
I am hunting around the London area - radius of 30 miles - and my first inquiry is finding out if this scenario is being experienced by others both locally and as well farther abroad?

A deduction to explain the above: Toms have their ladies and are tending to their needs and not venturing out for more. As the hens depart and begin nesting, thus reducing his number of sexual partners, he will become more interested in new hens and be vulnerable to decoys and calls.
Does this deduction make sense and I should wait them out and I will be rewarded with interested toms as nesting gets into full swing leaving him lonely with a bubbling sexual desire?
If any of you have other explantions or theories, please bring them forth.
bbbwb
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

A little early yet for the hen to go to the nest the best is yet to come here in southern ont :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

We're seeing the same thing. Hunting out around Komoka. Lots of birds just can't get the big boys to break away and come in. We're going to keep trying and hoping for the same scenario as the season goes on and the hens get on their nests.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
catcher

Post by catcher »

You either got to wait them out till mid morning when the hens have left him or he gets bored with the hens he is with. And he wants to try something new. Or you got to stop calling the Tom and call the hens. You got to stop being so agressive with your calling and sweet talk those hens to come over and drag that gobbler with them. The first Tom this year I shot Had four hens with him and the boss hen was in the lead. She came over to check out the lonely hen I was imitating. And the Tom was strutting with the other 3 hens all around him. The second Tom I shot this year was henned up as well. From 6 am. till 8am. Then I could see the hens leaving his area and he was ready to play after that. Just my two cents worth.
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

the bird xbowkidd bagged last Sat. came to our jake decoy slowly. The "Head Hen" and 2 other hens came in first for the big check up and the Tom came in behind slowly. The only calling we madde were 2 purrs to make the Tom feel more at ease. We were in the blind 15 minutes before they came in. (we both slept in). Good result though if you look at his post.
Mark
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Welcome to turkey hunting :D . That's what makes it so addictive. The frustration of seeing the birds and not being able to tear them away from their ladies and the next day, you may score one. If you are near the roost area (see or hear them fly down) and they are with hens, WAIT THEM OUT. They will come back to the roost area or strutting area after the hens bugger off for the day. This is when the toms go on the prowl. I have never called in a tom when it is with hens. They are most responsive if you can call them before the real hens get to them or after the real hens leave.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
RAGS

Post by RAGS »

My issue is no sightings. I hunt on the edge of London near the 402 and had my eye on a flock of 35 birds. When they broke up just before the season they all dissappeared - totally. I have scouted the whole property several times with only one or two tracks showing up on the creek bank. I have checked surrounding properties and again, no sign. Is normal for them to move a great distance when they break up or will they come back?
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Rags have you actually been out to hunt the property and do some calling or just scouting?

We're hunting near the 402 and Glendon and didn't see any birds before we started hunting. We saw plenty in the late winter early spring but then nothing. When we went out openin morning we had lots of birds, we just couldn't get them to come in, not the Toms anyway, we could have had a Jake on a couple of occasions.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps