Excal Arrow Speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jpscribbler

Excal Arrow Speed

Post by jpscribbler »

After a cold, damp and unproductive morning of turkey hunting last week, I drove up to Kitchener to The Bow Shop for target practice and make some setup adjustments. While there, I used a chrono to test arrow speeds. Here are the numbers for those who are interested:
I'm using a standard Exocet 200, with a custom Boo string with whiskers. The GT Laser arrows consistently came in at 309 fps. The new Easton Firebolts, which are now standard issue for Excal, came in a 304 fps. All arrows had 100 gr. field tips on them.
I've set my string along the back edge of the brace height line - that is the line closest to the stock. (It is pictured at 1 1/8", but I've since moved it farther back).
The 309 fps is a long way from 330 fps. I'm told the custom string accounts for between 5-8 fps. I don't know if that is true, but that 's the advice at the store.
My main use is deer so the 309 fps is more than enough. I have not measured speed with broadheads.

[img][img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff47 ... CN1527.jpg[/img][/img]
Excalibur Exocet 200
Lumizone scope
Boo string
Wasp 100 gr. broadhead
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

What kind of inserts do you have on there?
nocks?

To achieve 330FPS, you need to have the factory FFF String on, and a bolt that weighs 350Grains. Putting on the Boo String may account for 5-8FPS, but I bet your bolt also weighs more than 350Grains.

My Max (with FFF) shoots Gold Laser IIs (With Brass Inserts) at 332FPS. thats 18FPS slower than predicted.

But my bolts weigh 414Grains.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
jpscribbler

arrow speed

Post by jpscribbler »

Thanks for the info.
The arrows are off the rack GT's. Flat nocked. I'm not sure what they weigh, but you've given me some ideas here.
I'm not necessarily interested in more speed - 300 fps is plenty for the deer I'm hunting. I was curious though about the difference between the GTs and the new Firebolts.

Thanks,
Excalibur Exocet 200
Lumizone scope
Boo string
Wasp 100 gr. broadhead
Normous

Post by Normous »

The chrony used at the archery shop might be off. Myself and one friend own and use a quality chronograph which are reading the same fps regarding my Excalibur velocities. Another friend brought his less expensive chrony over and registered about 10-25 fps less than mine. The spread was all over the place without any consistancy in velocity. Mine will display consistantly and reliably when needed. I don't think the velocity displayed at the shop is related to the arrows you are using.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

At a glance I see a lot of stuff hanging on your string. If you take off all of those silencers you'll see a very big increase on the speed of the bow. Remember, anything attached to the limbs or string costs velocity!
dutchhunter

stretch

Post by dutchhunter »

GOt the new vortex out again today she was shooting three inches high the string had stretched pased the hatch march closes to the limbs only been on the bow for one month is this normal. It is the factory string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That is very normal for the dacron srting. You need to twist it back to your normal brace height. You will need to continue doing the twisting until it stops creeping forward. I've found this to be around 300 shots. Not sure how long it would have to just sit on the bow before it stops stretching.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen