Adding Arrow Weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Adding Arrow Weight

Post by Hi5 »

Here's a link to a product for adding weight to an arrow.

http://www.aftershockbroadheads.com/products/1.aspx

I would like to try the GrizzSlick broadheads, but they currently will only be available in 100 grain. I prefer to have more weight for better penetration on larger big game.

I'm not sure I like the arrow length being increased. Most of all, isn't there an increased risk of the broadhead being out of alignment with the bolt? When you start making more joins, doesn't that make it more likely things won't line up as they should for best accuracy?

Anyone have experience with this product?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Doesn't look like a good idea to me. I use brass inserts to add weight to get F.O.C. By installing a 100gr or 110gr brass insert to 20inch crossbow arrows and using a 100gr or 125gr head makes for good FOC
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
dutchhunter

arrows

Post by dutchhunter »

I am just wonderig are the firebolt arrows that came with my xbow not set properfor the bow i dont understand . I always used them with 100 g heads is there something better i dont know about FOC :?: :?: :?:
dutchhunter

oh ya

Post by dutchhunter »

THE xbow heads from aftershock look prety good anybody us them .FOR years we all used punchcutters they are no longer avalabie so i swiched to rageheads very happy with them so far but allways looking for new ideas arnt we all :lol: :lol:
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

F.O.C. is nothing more than weight of the arrow being forward of center by a certain percentage Most crossbows shoot better with arrows that have 12% to 20% FOC. You can gain FOC by using heavier broadheads but they tend to be bigger . That makes them more suspectable to planing. Smaller fixed blades like the Slick Tricks and similar BH fly very well with very little planing using arrows with a reasonable FOC. Mechanical have little planing, if any. Raising the front end weight of an arrow to gain FOC is most commonly done by using brass inserts. Now days Goldtip Laser II's and other arrows are sold with brass inserts.

The only way to know for sure what works for you is to experiment with arrows and heavier inserts, plus different styles and weights of broadheads. Arrow speed also comes into the equation.

Bottom line is try different things until you find the best combination for your bow.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Rage already posted this in another thread.... :lol: :lol:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you have the alum insert minimum weight arrows like Gt's, you can do some cheap experiments by trying the 170 gr mechanicals from NAP. The 70 gr difference will put you close to the GT's w/ brass inserts as far as FOC goes.
"Eze 18:21"