RECOIL

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

RECOIL

Post by dutchhunter »

i KNOW THIS IS A GUN QUESTION BUT THERE IS A LOT OF SMARTS HERE . ANYBODY HEARD OF A mERCURY RECOIL REDUCER THANKS ED
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Just Google "Mercury Recoil Suppressors",and you will find what you need.
Bob Vandrish.
Boo

Post by Boo »

It is an old recoil reducer used in shotguns mostly. It is a tube will some mercury in it that is placed in the stock via a deep hole drilled through the rear. It did not help the balance of the shotgun at all and the mercury moved back and forth. I haven't shot a shotgun with one but shouldered one and disliked it immediately.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dutchhunter

thanks

Post by dutchhunter »

will try google. alwasy looking for an edge
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Adding weight to the gun will reduce felt recoil, regardless where it's added. But so will a good recoil pad like Limb Saver. The other option is porting the barrel.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Yes,they call it a dead mule
I have one in my Browning A-5 1928
Really reduces recoil.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ehntr

Hijack sorta

Post by ehntr »

Cossack wrote:Adding weight to the gun will reduce felt recoil, regardless where it's added. But so will a good recoil pad like Limb Saver. The other option is porting the barrel.
I've got a Mod 70 "Lightweight" 30.06.........oh yeah. I flinch just thinking about it lol. I had the barrel ported...............it did reduce the recoil......but man that gun is crazy LOUD now......not that that bothers me........just the guys next to me lol. I put on a Simms Limb Saver pad a few months back. Haven't fired the rifle to see what effect the Simms has. Going to shoot lighter loads instead of the 180's too.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

At one time ( when me and my buddies were at lot younger and tougher) we all would reload crazy wicked fast loads that would pound the crap out of anything at both ends. Finally I realized that for a lot of my hunting a long shot was probably well under a hundred yards. Where I deer and moose hunt we are talking hardwood ridges with pine and hemlock. Most of my loads are really downloaded. My favorite deer rifle (that I've used for close to 25 years) is a .243 that I can hardly feel kick, but it has never failed me. It certainly doesn't blow them off their feet, but they don't usually go out of my vision either. I think of 12 guys in our camp, 10 use the same calibre. Bigger isn't always better.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I dont know about anyone else, but when target shooting all shotguns recoil hard... shoot at a deer or bird and you never feel it :D

so just pretend that target has a nice 12pt rack and you wont even know its shooting :D

i can vouch that 3.5inch shells will kick the crap out of anyone under 180 pounds :D
saxman

Re: RECOIL

Post by saxman »

dutchhunter wrote:i KNOW THIS IS A GUN QUESTION BUT THERE IS A LOT OF SMARTS HERE . ANYBODY HEARD OF A mERCURY RECOIL REDUCER THANKS ED
Here you go,this is the one I have

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/new_produ ... le_031407/
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011