Fiddleheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wayne B

Fiddleheads

Post by Wayne B »

Me and my sweetie were at our cabin for the weekend, and when we were coming home I was stopping to do a little roadwork with a rake and shovel on some of the potholes. Colleen asked me " are those fiddleheads? " . They sure looked like them, but I didn't know if all types of ferns produce them or if they are all edible. Any fiddleheaders out there who can give me some info?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not an expert, but here's a good link - http://www.wild-harvest.com/pages/fiddlehead.htm
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

What do they taste like? how do you cook them?
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Cook 'em just like asparagus. More mild tasting than former. But, like anything else, put a little butter on it and.....
catcher

Post by catcher »

I like them with a little vinegar on them.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Fiddleheads are from the ostrich fern and a darn tasty. My wife and I picked a grocery bag full last weekend. They are just about done here. Once they start to get up 4-5 inches and uncurl, they become tough and bitter. Best to pick them at about 1-3 inches of growth from the root base, and be selective so you don't kill the plant.

We boil them for 10 minutes and then put some lemon juice and salt on them.

We still have some from last year. Boiled them for 7-8 minutes, then rinse in cold water, place in freezer bags with a bit of water, and finally a coat of freezer paper. They keep well like that.

Some pics from last spring's excursion.

I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

Thanks for the info guys. Great link Wabi. Probably by the time I get back to the cabin they'll be done. They already looked to be about 6" tall. But I'll be ready for next year. The leeks are looking good. I caught some walleye on the weekend and saved the cheeks. Going to have some cheek-leek soup.