mechanical b-head for Equinox?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob-s

mechanical b-head for Equinox?

Post by bob-s »

Just purchased an Equinox. Very happy with it, both accurate and powerful. I have shot a couple of elk and moose with regular vertical archery in the past, but used traditional broadheads. Hoping to get a shot with it this fall on an elk, or a moose if I draw the tag.

I am leaning on trying a mechanical broadhead, both from the accuracy and somewhat larger cut diameter than most fixed. Any first hand experience with large game / bones vs mechanicals? Using GT Laser II carbons with brass inserts. Noticed several mfgrs have so called magnum broadheads such as NAP's Spitfire - 170 grs.

Thanks for any and all replies. Bob. :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Seems like this question just keeps coming up. Try a search on broadheads and you will get a lot of opinions.

Personally, I think you are on the right track. I've shot the Spitfire Magnums and they are very accurate. I like the extra weight too. The only thing I would change on that broadhead is, I would make the blades 2".
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob-s

re mech. b-heads

Post by bob-s »

Thanks sumner -- looks like most by their silence, prefer the fixed blades on larger game . --- looking now at the search as you suggested. I just placed an order for the Spitfire magnums 170 gr. to try out.

I would have thought some would have wanted to post recent experiences with mechanicals on larger game.

Happy hunting --- Bob. :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Don't read too much into the silence. Most have stated their positions on this debate, so it's like beating a dead deer. Most do not have the experience of shooting large game with a wide blade mechanical. A lot of the debaters have not shot mechanicals. It's just more humane to shoot as large of a blade as your weapon will allow. Which means getting the broadhead through your prey.

If you want my complete analysis of the broadhead debate, then pm me. Most likely, you know if the search produced the threads I think it produced.

Scott

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I don't shoot anything larger than whitetails. However, after missing two bucks because the arrow planed off target I've stuck with smallish (inch and an eight wide) 4 bladed fixed broadheads. They have worked just fine for my purpose. Moreover the posts about mechanicals deploying prematurely; the need to double-band for crossbows; and game lost to failed-to-open mechanicals keeps me from shooting them at live targets.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

95% of my crossbows use is just messing around, target shooting, testing arrow configurations as well as strings.
I am growing bored of it, I think I have tested everything I can get my hands on, with the exception of mechanicals. My fixed blades fly absolutely perfectly so it will be hard to try something new and expect anything better than what I already have.
I may pick up a threesome of mechanicals just to add some spice back to my shooting, a chance to try something new. I would have no idea where to start looking for heads though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cassack . . .don't believe everything you read, including the crap I write. Try them for yourself.

David . . .pm me your address. I'll get you started.

Scott

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TYE

Post by TYE »

My favourite mechanical so far is the Innerloc's.... They make the X-ACT for Excalibur. :)
bob-s

re mech.

Post by bob-s »

Tye --- have you used those on anything larger than deer and what was the result? Or for that matter have you hit any of the larger bones on a deer?

Once again thanks everyone for replies. ...Bob. :)
TYE

Re: re mech.

Post by TYE »

bob-s wrote:Tye --- have you used those on anything larger than deer and what was the result? Or for that matter have you hit any of the larger bones on a deer?

Once again thanks everyone for replies. ...Bob. :)
Haven't shot any animals with them yet.... just put them through tests. And they're the best flying head I've shot yet.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have used rockett steelheads on deer, and they are not elk moose or bears. i do know a few ppl that have used NAP spitfires 125 & 170 also Tekan II on bigger animals and still use them.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Where can the interlocks be bought (here in US) ?
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Can you believe they are made right here in Georgia?

They can be ordered off the website.

http://www.innerloc.com/Pages/exp.htm

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yeah those ones, same ones in the link Sumner posted. :)
Michael Stogre

Spitfires

Post by Michael Stogre »

I shot one deer with the original spitfire. Took out the ribs on both sides.
Excellent blood trail. The Innerloc mechanical has gotten excellent reviews
on the BT review found on the archer's edge web site. Excalibur is now
using them. So if I go back to mechanicals I would probably try the
Innerloc model.
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)