Fuel & Hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Fuel & Hunting

Post by Mike P »

I just received the bill in the mail from the company that supplies diesel fuel to our tanks out at the farm. I thought I was going to have a cardiac! The cost of fuel is going to change the way we operate our farm.

I know my fellow forum members north of the border are even paying more for diesel. With no end in sight, I started thinking of the many ways the cost of energy may change the way we hunt. Those of you that have planted food crops for whitetails already know that this can be a fairly expensive undertaking. And if you are doing several hundred acres the costs can really start to add up. It is too late this year to make changes for us. But I am quite certain that we will make changes for next year to try and realize some economies.

As many of you know, I am a strong proponent of urban hunting. Even though I am a partner in a hunting operation set up strictly for the management of trophy whitetails I hunt the majority of the time within walking distance of my house. So in that regard, my hunting will not be affected by the rising cost of energy. But I know that many of you are not so fortunate and must drive to the area where you hunt.

Will the high cost of fuel alter the way you hunt? Will you cut back in other areas to feed your hunting habit? Do you have any good ideas that you can share with the rest of us as to how to cope with rising energy costs?

I thought this to be a timely subject and look forward to the responses.
Duey

Post by Duey »

Mike P I just got some off road diesel and what a shock $4.65 a Gallon only .35 cents lower than on road diesel here in Illinois.

Duey
Normous

Post by Normous »

I'm still going to hunt, just drive the F150 slower to decrease fuel consumption. I already added a Custom SCT Tune that adds horsepower and increases MPG. In addition the dual electric fans coupled with the underdrive pulleys add as well. My 4x4 04 Crew Cab with a 6" lift running 35" tire gets 21-22 MPG in good driving conditions with the cruise set at 55mph or about 100kph. Thats about the best I can do.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Toast

Post by Toast »

A deer feeder with a few hundred pounds of corn is much cheaper than planting food plots. My hunting area is 2-5 min. out the side door of my house.
Doug
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I believe DropTine and his family make their own diesel.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
diesel

Post by diesel »

Anyone that owns a diesel can buy a Supper Chip , We sell them here if you have farm equipment there are many different plug in type power stuff you can buy here as well.
Most of the time you get an increase in power and fuel economy. I sold them to many people and some to family members.
As for the gas cars and trucks we sell them but I don't know if they are improving fuel economy or not. I do know that you pay a lot of mony for the gas Super Chips for only a 10% increase in power.

I,m not tring to sell stuff here this stuff is available on line;
Look up ;
Super Chip
TS Performance
BD Power
Edge
Fass fuel system
Banks
Pure Flow
AFE Air filters
K&N Air Filters
If you want some info on these items pm me and I can get it to you.
terry-1

Fuel

Post by terry-1 »

I plan on hunting at the farm more this year and when I do drive to my lease which is 1hr round trip I plan on camping overnight. Camping is fun and Now I can tell my wife I have to camp it saves money :D .
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Won't make a bit of difference to me, Mike.

I've done all my deer hunting right here on my farm for the last seven years. Machines aren't a part of my hunting experience.

I do sometimes pick one up with the truck, and usually use the truck to dump the gut-tub, but I'm sure I haven't used more than a few gallons in all seven years I've been hunting here.

Rising fuel costs won't change things for me. Guess I'm blessed! :D
Grizz
sleddog2

Post by sleddog2 »

Yes I am one of the fortuate ones that can hunt on my own land.
Rudy

Fuel

Post by Rudy »

Buying a small car and using a trailer. I'm one of the guys that have to drive an hour to do any good hunting.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Tyler and I will probably use our atvs a little more while we are cruising around the 16,000 acre hunting club but I intend to take my normal out of town trips as usual but I'm probably going to have to cancel the trip to Maine :cry: .

God Bless,

Ray
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I'm about 8 miles from my primary hunting area on private land in Virginia and about 1/2 mile from a public WMA here in West Virginia.

I don't think the cost of fuel will cut down on the amount of time I spend in the woods, but it may cut down on the number of trips to and from. Instead of coming home for lunch I may pack a lunch for an all day sit. My two biggest bucks from last season were bagged between 10am and 2:30pm so it may work in my favor.

DuckHunt
wabi

Post by wabi »

I already hunt close to home so the fuel prices won't hurt my hunting too much. Like DuckHunt I may make a few less trips, though.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

I joined a lease 3 miles from my door but when I hunt with Dad that is going to cost me.We dog hunt and use the trucks all day,now that he is 84 I drive him when I am there and refuse to let him pay for gas,He is woth every penny.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i have 2 places to hunt one is a couple of miles and the other is a lot larger and an hour drive. i will be hunting the closer land a lot more this year. the local homeowners with gardens will be glad i am too.this closer place is an ideal crossbow/archery situation to boot.
thanks philip