Older Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wayne B

Older Crossbow

Post by Wayne B »

I was at my cabin this weekend and one of the other lot owners showed up to share our campfire. I was delighted because he had his father with him, who is quite elderly and very interesting to talk to. I had met this gentleman a couple of years ago but his declinig eyesight has left him pretty much housebound. The conversation eloved to fishing to hunting and to crossbow hunting. He mentioned that he purchased a crossbow in the 50's and used it for predator control around his cottage. He had shot a porcupine , raccoon's and many groundhogs. I asked him if he could remember the make or model? Well.. no he couldn't really remember that. His son piped up and said I've got it in the cabin. He went and got it and it was a Powermaster. That's the only name I could see on it. The name was engraved on an aluminum plate below where the limb was fastened down. The limb is one piece aluminum recurve. There is a string on it with some knots in it. ( I guess they didn't know you could twist it as the string streched) I told him I would like to get some pictures before he left the next morning be they left quite early. Anyone heard of this bow before?
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Can`t tell you much about it but I have one also.
Big John

v

Post by Big John »

Doe Master:

I would like to see a pic of that? Can you post one?
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Here you go John.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i had one back in the early 70s and shot some garfish with it. i think it was 80 pound draw . no way comparable to todays fine quality stuff but it was fun at the time.
thanks philip
Big John

m

Post by Big John »

Thank's Doe Master :)
Look's like it's right out of mid-Evil times.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

Thanks for the pictures Doe Master. And thanks Woody for the link to E-bay. Those bows are definately the same model as the one I saw, except I believe the one I looked at was an older version. The trigger mechanism wasn't nearly as technologically advanced as the ones in the pictures. As a matter of fact, there was no safety at all. When the trigger was pulled a pin pushed up and lifted the string out of a groove it was caught on and the bolt would be gone. Everything was wide open to see. Made me cringe when I saw how it worked.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not sure of the validity on the information, but I've heard those older aluminum limbs can be dangerous. I've heard they can fatigue and break!
If it were mine I'd make it a display only piece!
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

wabi wrote:Not sure of the validity on the information, but I've heard those older aluminum limbs can be dangerous. I've heard they can fatigue and break!
If it were mine I'd make it a display only piece!

Same here, Mike. I too had one. I've read alot of limb warnings on them, if I still had mine I'd hang it on the wall.
"Eze 18:21"
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I`ve had it for about 15 years and have never even shot it . :D It was just a old crossbow to me so I put it away .