tradgectory tables.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crunch

tradgectory tables.

Post by Crunch »

Man, I wish that I could spell...Anyway has anyone gone to the trouble of calculating arrow tradgectory for different velocity and bolt weights?

Thanks,

crunch
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

cant help with a chart..but i,d like to know also..
btw..i had to to look it up :oops: but its spelled trajectory :D
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Excalibur has a good set of tables.

Click here to get there.
Cariboo

Some more info ..................

Post by Cariboo »

I actually spent an hour this afternoon and shot a few dozen arrows over my chronograph just to provide a baseline.
Crossbow is an Excalibur Phoenix with Excel string. Chrono was set up 10 feet in front of the bench.

Excal Firebolt with 100 grain Field Point. (total weight = 383 grains) : 285 fps

Gold Tip with 100 grain field point. (total weight = 412 grains) : 275 fps

Firebolt with 150 grain field point. (total weight = 433 grains) : 270 fps

Shooting from a rest the small speed difference between heaviest and lightest only made a difference of ~ 3" at 30 yards. (Bow zeroed at 20 yards)
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

Thanks,

The tables from Excal give me alot of info.

crunch
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The trajectory of an arrow depends non only on it's initial speed but its weight, size of vanes and broadhead. Speed will vary by where your string is set. i.e. longer power stroke, faster arrow. For that reason I prefer to determine the trajectory of my arrows by shooting them at targets set at known intervals.
Determining where to aim is made easier (for me) with the LumiZone scope which has multiple aiming points which can be calibrated by changing the magnification of the scope.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Here is a combined drop chart that I put together using the information from the Excalibur website. I can send you the excel file that I used to build the chart if you would like, just send me a pm.

-M
Gaffle

Post by Gaffle »

Drop doesn't give you much of a clue what you can expect when shooting at a 35 yard target with a 30 yard zero. Unfortunately, I don't know of any online resource that will give you a good trajectory prediction. At least, not any longer.

Here's a link to a good tool on Steve Jackson's site. It it will calculate drop, downrange speed, KE and momentum for distances in 10-yard increments, but not trajectory. It has a link to Andrew Middleton's graphing trajectory calculator, but the link is dead now. I used to use that thing all the time for setting up sight tapes for my compounds and I sure miss it.

The only other option I know of is one of the archery programs like Archers Advantage, On Target and such. I don't know how accurate they'd be for crossbow arrows though.
"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »