The Supreme Court Ruling on Gun Ownership

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.
The court's 5-4 ruling struck down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment. The decision went further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.
The above was taken from the news release on the associated press wire.
What follows below is what I am writing.

This is a banner day for all of us in the United States. The Supreme Court for the first time defined this right under the Second Amendment. We will not fall prey to the anti gun establishment. We will not join other countries who have forced their residents to give up their right to gun ownership and self protection.

My northern brothers will have to forgive me as I am about to climb on my soap box. I can’t help it, I have to. I have to tell everyone how proud I am to be part of this great nation.

I have traveled all over the world. I have been to many countries. Some are wonderful. Some are not. Many are enlightened. Some think they are when they really are not. Many are arrogant. But overall, most are populated with people just like you and me who just want to live a good life. They love their children. And they take pride in their country just like I do with mine.

One thing I have noticed in all my travels. It didn’t dawn on me at first. It took years and years for it to sink in. There is one thing that happens more in the United States of America then in any country I have ever visited. In the United States, this pride is demonstrated in every small town and down every rural road. You see it in neighborhoods both large and small. You see it in the great cities and remote farmlands. You see the flag.

When you travel through Europe you seldom see the flag of the country flown anywhere but public places. Seldom do you see any flags fly from private homes. In Asia you only see flags flown from public buildings. And I must give due to my northern brothers; I do see the maple leaf flown frequently, but nothing like here in the states. No, this phenomenon is indigenous to the USA. We love to fly the flag.

We are the most criticized nation in the world. It comes with the turf. A lot of the criticism is justified. We do a lot of things wrong. But we also do a lot of things right. And this decision by the Supreme Court is proof that we sometimes get out of our own way and get something right.

I hope I didn’t bruise any feelings. I didn’t want to do that. It was not my intention. Nor was it my attention to start any debates about countries be they good or be they bad. No, I just wanted to say something about freedom. And freedom is nothing without the right to own and bear arms.

When I raised the American Flag in my front yard this morning it seemed rather special. I wore my service issue semi on my hip. And I thought to myself “God, I Love this Country!”
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm proud to be an American too, Mike, and I'll never hide my love for my native land. No, we're not perfect, but there is no vocal critic of America that isn't guilty of intentional blindness to the good things about this country.

I think that surely our Canadian friends are willing to permit our natural love of place and country, and even to applaud it. I sure wouldn't begrudge them their pride and prejudice! :D

The Supreme Court ruling demonstrates that sometimes common sense in interpretation does prevail ... and that words really mean something. Thank God it went the way it did.

Long live America ... and Canada too!
Grizz
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATULIONS!! to my southern brothers and sisters.Now you need to keep pressure on the states that do not let you hunt with crossbows.
The best things in life are not things!!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

This is a Great Ruleing on the Supreme Courts part :) . Now i do not have to listen to the Antigun People tell me that only applys to the Militia it is Finally OVER :D :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

The ruling came down just like I thought it would 5 to 4. That is a squeaker.

No telling what we would have had with two Gore or Kerry appointed Judges.

Even though I will hold my nose and vote for McCain it is too important to sit home and not vote. No doubt we will see a couple supremes leave in the next few years. Who replaces them is VERY important.

Barack Obama on Gun Control

·Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
·FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
·Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
·Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
·2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
·Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
·Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
·Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
·Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
·Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

Obama Quotes on Gun Control…….
http://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/Bar ... ontrol.htm
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
saxman

Post by saxman »

It's about time the second amendment was taken as it was written.
Dont tread on me.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
War Paint

Post by War Paint »

NRA life member Enough said
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Recently drove with my family from Hamilton Ontario down to Dayton Ohio to visit some family.

That was the first thing i noticed was the great pride almost all Americans have. No matter there differences everyone is proud of the country they live in.

We traveled to the United States Airforce Museum (i believe thats what it was called) and I was absolutely blown away by the pride of the people and the pride that museum instilled in everyone who entered it.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.