O/T knife sharpening

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

diesel

O/T knife sharpening

Post by diesel »

I cannot remember where I saw someone post about the KME knife sharpening system but I was taken in bu it. I got one for Fathers day.
I can sharpen a knife most of the time and get it close and sometime get it very sharp.
Now with the KME system it's very easy to get them VERY sharp as long as the blade is wide enough. If the blade is less than 1/2" wide seems like you cant get to it due to the holding fixture.
The biggest reason I wanted this was for broad heads, and it really works good on Slick Tricks will not work on my mechanicals do to the blade is not wide enough. Now I see they do make a fixture to sharpen broad heads a nd I did not get that.

My question is, they say to use a lot of honing oil on the stones and then when you are done sharpening you knife to wash the stones with lots of soap and water, why ?
Is that just to remove the metal from the stone ?

Thanks
Tommy-SKIL-Figure

Post by Tommy-SKIL-Figure »

is there a way to get all the grit out of a stone that has seen a lot of improper use over a number of years?
Ambition is the excuse for those who do not have the guts to be lazy
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Tommy-SKIL-Figure wrote:is there a way to get all the grit out of a stone that has seen a lot of improper use over a number of years?
Yes, try a can of WD-40, "wash" the stone w/ the spray held fairly close.
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Tommy-SKIL-Figure wrote:is there a way to get all the grit out of a stone that has seen a lot of improper use over a number of years?
Try an ultrasonic denture cleaner.
Some people just like stepping on rakes