Anybody ever construct a tee pee?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Anybody ever construct a tee pee?

Post by Pydpiper »

The family and I have decided to switch up our camping experience a bit and try a tee pee style tent. I just don't know where to start.
I don't want the the whole historical experience, just the structure.
We sleep outdoors at least 2 nights a week in the summer and are looking to expand a bit on how we do things.
Any help in this area would be appreciated.
Thanks!
David
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'm sure others are more qualified than me, but went to a slew of rendezvous w/ M/L and watched some as they fascinate me too. From what I saw, you have a long rope on one of first poles you put up, you stack 10 or 12 of them in a circle and then make turns w/ the rope to hold the tops together. Maybe tie the tops of first 3 together w/ it and go from there, setting them up in tripod manner, then fill in the blanks, lol. Think there's another rope on one of them to pull the covering up. There is also an inner wall on the for real ones about head high that acts as an insulation barrier, keeps heat in from fire in cold weather. Had a friend in Illinois that lived in one for over a year and it was warm as long as fire was going. I used what was called a one pole for 'vous, looked alot like a tee pee and went up much easier, hint hint, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:shock: :shock: YOu're gonna have to kill a lot of deer or moose!!!!! Good luck....be sure to take pics for us. :wink: Barmpton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Dan, thanks! I plan on 2, one more permanent and larger for keeping at home for 4 season camping, then a second, more portable version for toting along on rustic journeys.

Mike, deer and moose are a great idea, I kept imagining doing it with squirrels! Phew.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm guessin' you'd be smart to get in touch with the folks that made them for real, Cree, Sioux, Blackfoot and the like.
ManX

Re: Anybody ever construct a tee pee?

Post by ManX »

You need no less then three timbers (poles, you can also cut birchs there) of 4-5meters high, long and medium rope,
waterproof sheet Image.
Make a node as this pic:
it will be better if you put the central timbers top/down in this way ( pic (I)and roteate it 180°( pic (II)and open them ( pic (III):
You have already built the body, in the same way you can also use 5-6-7 poles.
Than roll your sheet using another hight stick from the top and block it on the body with rope.
If you left the top open you can also ignite a fire inside but be carefull :x
It's really easy and cheap, but do not choose a place concave for rain, and anchor with other rope your tee pee if there will be wind. http://www.colebrookski-bees.com/photos ... eErrol.JPG
I sleep a lot of nights during Celtic Fest in a tend similar to a tee pee.
I know : my English is not so good but if you need call me, I will be happy to help you.. :wink:
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
sleddog2

Post by sleddog2 »

You should take a trip down to Caledonia. On my last trip through on the the south west corner of town (Hwy 6). There is a teepee, that would help you.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I tend to make them early in the morning before I get out of bed
:oops:
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I have made them before by lashing the poles together. A lean-to is another choice.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... A%26sa%3DN
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Part of the reason we chose this style is to allow the use of an internal fire, and will also provide enough room for all 5 of us.
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys, lots to think about now. :D
WMU 91
Boo string