Y25 Relayer Impressions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaGriz

Y25 Relayer Impressions

Post by DaGriz »

I received my Y25 today. Number 357. Put it together and shot some arrows. It is heavy, noisey as all get out, quite slow and now where near as accurate as my TenPoints plus the trigger is lousy.

With 410gr Goldtips, 2" blasers the best I get is 291FPS. So much for the advertised 330FPS! :? Best group I can get is 2&1/2 inches at 20yds off a rock solid bench. (Same arrows shot from my TenPoints group under 3/4"inch if I want to ruin a few arrows) It makes all kind of ratlling noises , worse than a Cyclone, trigger has more creep and travel than a cheap foriegn rifle trigger. Final let-off is rough and hard.
I put a STS system on it and found that to be a big P.O.S.

Needless to say my first impressions are not good and I am no where near a happy Y25 owner! :roll: and I don't think I want to be a Y25 owner at all.

The only thing positive I can say is it is a fairly good looking crossbow!
Last edited by DaGriz on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
ManX

Post by ManX »

Nice to meet you DaGriz,
I think a Y25 is too expensive and good as item in your showcase for the living room :cry: the best way is hand made in wood (rooted of olive, walnut etc) one unique by a good carpenter :wink:
Last edited by ManX on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Wow ! ... Are you sure you put it together correctly ? ( tightend everything ? )

Mine looks great / shoots great ... Is heavier with the wood stock no doubt , but hardly noticeable in my opinion ..

Trigger seems fine ...

I sighted in at 20 yards with Lumizone scope ... once sighted in I damaged 3 out of the next 7 arrows due to near misses ( steady rest ) ...

Consistently shooting within 1 inch of center freehand at 20 yards ..

Put on broadheads and tried a few shots at 30 yards ... 1st two arrows approx 1 1/4 inch apart ... 3rd shot shaved fletching off arrow # 2.

At 40 yards free hand ... shot 5 arrows at the 5 white dots on my " Black Hole " target ... 2 hit within 1/8 inch of center , other 2 were still within the white dot ( approx 2 1/2 inch dia dot ). and 1 shot I pulled still cut outside edge of white dot # 5 ..

So I'm pretty confident I'm in the " the boiler room " on any whitetail out to 40 yards free hand .

I don't have a crono , but I can tell from experience ... it is scary fast ! , and doubt any whitetail at 20 yards will duck it !

Put it away after that ... ready / waiting for deer season .

Next time I'm out , I will take some pictures of next 10 arrows out of it ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hahahaha That's funny boys! I built some sub 350 gr arrows from some 340 fat boys and shot it through my Y25 and it's dead! I watched the arrow hit the bullseye through the scope at 28 yards! That was shooting free hand! Ok maybe an accident but I didn't shoot at the same dot again. Completely dead in the hands on the shot and barely any noise at all!!!! LOL!
Last edited by Boo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hahaha, I couldn't leave that one on here. David/Wyvern did you sell this, this, this...................
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Tell you what, I'll give you $300 for it, and I'll even cover the shipping. I hate to see anyone unhappy with their purchase.....

Thanks!

Korey
Boo

Post by Boo »

korey99 wrote:Tell you what, I'll give you $300 for it, and I'll even cover the shipping. I hate to see anyone unhappy with their purchase.....

Thanks!

Korey
$350.00! and I'' throw in some anti-troll ointment!
Wyvern Crossbow

Post by Wyvern Crossbow »

Yes, I am the one who sold it. I am also taking it back and giving Griz a full refund. I refuse to have an unhappy customer. I spent some time with Griz today going over possible reasons as to this bows inaccuracy and noise and over the phone, some possible reasons came up and some improvements were made, but not to the point that my customer felt he "got his moneys worth" on this bow. IF it was a basic Vortex and performed like that it may have been a diferant story, but at the price of a Relayer if he is not happy he should not feel obligated to keep it. When it gets back I will look it over and see what may be up...

One point that I personaly find is a sore spot is the overstatement of arrow speeds in Excals advertizing....it is very missleading. Not that they dont shoot fast enough to be more than effective but many people read 330fps and if they have a chrono they get very disapointed very quickly...I try very hard to inform everyone that buys an excal from me that they dont shoot as fast as they advertise with a hunting weight arrow..

Wyvern
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hmmmm going to have to bring up my new Archery Chrony to the cottage and add a tiny bit of weight to my arrows to see.
David, you have to stop selling POSs! (STS). I like all six of mine though! :D :D :D
BTW, what is the official hunting weight of an Excal? While we're at is what is the official weight of a Ten Point? Cauze my Ten Point is way noisier than my Y25.
Wyvern Crossbow

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. my definition of a "hunting weight arrow" is 410gr and up. The reason I do that is that if you buy factory arrows from any of the crossbow manufacturers, they weigh in anywhere from 410-440ish, but you cannot buy a 350gr arrow from Excal (or TenPoint for that matter), so why show a speed with an arrow you cannot buy from the manufacturer??? TenPoints are 420gr in their carbons by the way.

Wyvern
Boo

Post by Boo »

David, aren't all manufacturers "guilty" of the same?
Wyvern Crossbow

Actually, no...TenPoint (with the exception of their recurves) lists their bow speeds with their carbon bolts. Parker and Bowtech do the same thing. I know this is true because I have chronoed these bows with the factory arrows and come in either very close or over the advertised speeds. Not sure on the other manufacturers, but generaly they are all listing the speeds you can get with the bolts that come from the factory. Excal is the exception and Tenpoint...to be competitive...did their speed claims on their recurves with a 350gr bolt, which they do not sell.

Wyvern
fletch

Post by fletch »

Does a GT II carbon with alum inserts and plastic vanes not weigh around 350 gr? Sorry if I am confused but thought that is what they were.
Wyvern Crossbow

Yes, but I sell the GT's with brass inserts which put them about 420
Wyvern
fletch

Post by fletch »

but you cannot buy a 350gr arrow from Excal (or TenPoint for that matter), so why show a speed with an arrow you cannot buy from the manufacturer???
So then Excal does sell bolts that weigh 350gr correct? Not being a smart ass just that is what i was told when having custom bolts made for me because that is the min weight for shooting from an excal. My exomax shootin a GT II with alum inserts and 100 gr target point chroned at 352 fps so it shoots as stated by excal. Maybe I am misunderstanding your statement?