Tree stand height?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

Tree stand height?

Post by xbhntr »

These WILD TV shows have bow hunters shooting at what height? I shoot from a 16' ladder stand and when the wind blows, the stand sways. These stars must be 25' or higher? Ray.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I use a 24 foot rope to pull my gun/bow up and climb till it the rope goes taunt. I also like to climb hardwood tree, they don't sway as a much a a pine tree.

Rich
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Man, y'all like the nose-bleed seats!

12 feet high in a ladder is high enough for me. Don't do that much! :D
Grizz
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I like to be at least 16 feet to the seat and if possible 20feet :wink: 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

15-20 feet. Even then the deer will on occasion spot you perched up there. Although I've seen RJ demonstrate how he hunts and he becomes almost invisible in a tree. He stands pressed against the tree.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

12-17ft depending on cover.. I dont like heights so Im not going way up the tree. Ive never had a major issue with being spotted either but I also hang my stand in trees that provide cover and also, this is a important fact.. dont trim to may limbs. Deer notice that. Think of it as someone coming into your house and moving things around. You would know somethings up :lol:

you see the tv hunters hunting high mainly because deer are very use to them there and always look up. If they are such big believers in scent lok, why not hunt from 12ft since they shouldnt smell you there if it works :shock:

the biggest plus of 25ft up is that you can get away with movement and its easier to hide 2 people in a tree for video reasons :D
Sopchoppy

tree stand height

Post by Sopchoppy »

I use a Summit Viper SS. Usually go up about 25' if the tree is clean that far up. Friend of mine uses NO SCENT CONTROL except rubber boots. He gets 25-30' up and has never had a deer catch his scent. I've been at 25' and had 5 does under my tree and never knew I was there.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i spect it depends on the land and cover. using a tree stand 12/25' for me
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I prefer 16' to 20' up depending on which provides the best combination of view and cover. I hunt out of 2 two-man ladders that are only 12' though. The local tree or deer conditions tend to dictate my hunting height and location. I like stand hunting, but more than half of the deer I've taken have been from the ground. My two largest bucks were taken while hunting on the ground.

DuckHunt
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I'm usually at 15' but I am going to be setting one up at 6' this year and see if it makes any difference.

F
Toast

Post by Toast »

mine is 15 feet at the seat.
Doug
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

have tried different heights.... once was up in a stand up about 8 to 10 feet high and had a doe and fawn walk right underneath ...last year i was up 15 feet and would get busted when the wind blew a certain way ... i would recommend 15 feet or more though....
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

20' to 25' depending on the cover and terrain..

In the wide open I might even go higher..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]