angles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

angles

Post by mikej »

does anybody know how to calculate angles of tree stand height if i'm in a 12 ft stand shooting 20 yards what would my angle be ? thanks

mike
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Here ya go, ez too
http://www.1728.com/trig.htm

Good luck, Stosh
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

All you really need to know is the HORIZONTAL distance to the deer, i.e how far it is form the base of the tree, or stand base you're in to the target. That's the distance over which gravity affects the flight of the arrow. For the shot, it matters not that your angular distance is 30 yard, only that the horizontal distance is 24.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

On a 20 yard shot from a 15' tree stand the angular distance is 20 yards 21 inches. I'd say negligible.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Cossack, are you saying the actually elevated distance is the elevated distance minus the height?
Cossack wrote:All you really need to know is the HORIZONTAL distance to the deer, i.e how far it is form the base of the tree, or stand base you're in to the target. That's the distance over which gravity affects the flight of the arrow. For the shot, it matters not that your angular distance is 30 yard, only that the horizontal distance is 24.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

I saw somewhere that it didn't really matter until you were in the 30ft up and higher area. Some article I read but don't remember what magazine . They were comparing range finders.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Hey guys!
We have been around the horn on this topic before on this site,and the true calculation is the old Pythagorean Theorem.
The squaw sitting on the hippopatamus is equal to the sum of the two squaws sitting on the other two thighs! LOL!
Seriously though,if one plants 20,30 and 40 yard markers out from the base of the tree in obvious shooting lanes,then a shot from any height will not require a different point of aim than the same shot taken on level ground to any of the distances marked.
You know which crosshair is for what respective distance on your scope,and that's as simple as it gets.
This method takes all the calculations out of the equation.
Trust me!!
Bob Vandrish.
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks for all the info guys it has been helpfull but what i was accually wanting to know was how i would know what angle i would be shooting it how to calculate such an angle thanks

mike
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"Cossack, are you saying the actually elevated distance is the elevated distance minus the height?"

Huh?

I'm saying that for determining arrow trajectory purposes, angle does not matter.
What matters is how far the target object is from you on the HORIZONTAL
....say, from the base of the tree you're in to the target. That is the distance that gravity acts on the arrow. How high up you are makes no difference for determining the aim point (though windage, depending on the force of the wind, may be a factor).
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

If you don't have a rangefinder that calculates the angles for you, the easiest thing to do is step off the distance (or range it) while you are on the ground (level with the target). Like Bob said, once you know how far it is from the base of your tree to another spot on the ground it doesn't matter how high you climb. Its still the same shot.

I have to practice this constantly. The areas I hunt are mountainous and I tend to be up trees on the side of a hill. I not only have to know the distance downhill but uphill as well. Its always nice when a deer approaches on your uphill side and ends up at eye level. 8)

DuckHunt