O/T fixing a hole in a rubber boat?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

O/T fixing a hole in a rubber boat?

Post by Pydpiper »

I bought an inexpensive rubber raft for my kids and I to float down the river, first trip out we snagged a sharp sign and put a 1 3/4" slash in the boat, about 1" from a seam.
I went to buy a new boat today and they were sold out of this one, the only one big enough to fit my whole family.
So, all that is left is for me to fix this hole, I did a quick fix on the riverbank with the included patch and rubber cement, it slowed the leak enough for us to continue our trip.
So, does anyone have any of the fantastic ideas I have come to expect from combined knowledge here? I need to get this fixed so we can carry on.

Thanks!
David
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pink Panther

hole in boat +

Post by Pink Panther »

Iwould try multiple size patchs going from smaller to bigger , sanding the rubber a little bigger than the patch each time . By putting on about three layers so should have a good repair .
sunset

Post by sunset »

Maybe visit your local tire dealer. They have quality patches and the tools/experience to fix it properly.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I actually went to a tire dealership first, a buddy of mine has one. Apparently the vulcanizing process is different from a tire to the low grade rubber of this raft.
I am going to try the multi layered idea, that sounds intriguing. Any recommendations for adhesives? I have some good quality rubber cement I just may try if that is appropriate.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

What about using the sealor for neoprene. That stuff holds well.
Mark
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

N8tr Boy wrote:What about using the sealor for neoprene. That stuff holds well.
Mark
I will have to look in to that as well, my Browning 5mm waders sprung a leak this spring, they need some attention too.
WMU 91
Boo string
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I like the layered patch idea. I would probably do one layer at a time letting them dry between layers. Another thing is I would put something hard and flat under the raft to lift it up where you are making the repair so that after you add the patch you can put something heavy on top of the patch to "press" it together with a "tight" seal. And do this for each patch added.
Why ride when you can walk!
hawg hunter

hole in a boat

Post by hawg hunter »

A high quality duct tape over your layered patch.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Hey yah... That Gorilla Tape sticks really well. It is about $10 to $12 a roll but man it is tough. I always take it with me when camping.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

DrDan wrote:Hey yah... That Gorilla Tape sticks really well. It is about $10 to $12 a roll but man it is tough. I always take it with me when camping.
I haven't seen this stuff around yet, definitely sounds like something I could use around here though.
WMU 91
Boo string
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Walmart has it! It looks just like duct tape but is black and thicker, stickier and tough! I just fixed a hoe that had split out at the end. Just wrapped it with a double layer and it's just like new.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan