OT: Range test of new ML powder (Blackhorn 209)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

OT: Range test of new ML powder (Blackhorn 209)

Post by DuckHunt »

Today I received my shipment of Blackhorn 209 powder and took it to the range to see how it performed.

Impressive. Everything they say on their website (http://www.blackhorn209.com/) regarding this powder proves true. I fired about two dozen shots through two muzzleloaders over the span of a couple hours and was more impressed with each shot. I can't recall ever shooting three 250 grain Shockwave sabots into a group just a tad larger than a quarter at 100 yards.

I did that with a CVA Optima Pro with 115 grains of powder and a 250gr TC Shockwave. I repeated the feat with 90 grains of powder in a CVA Wolf Magnum with a 200 grain Shockwave. Bullet holes on bullet holes became the norm right from the start. Anything else appeared to be shooter induced. This powder appears to make each of my MLs more accurate than I'm capable of shooting.

I fired 14 shots through the Optima Pro. I swabbed the barrel with normal nitro solvent after eight shots just to see what it looked like. There was a little residue but nothing like after one shot with other black powder substitutes. In my two hours of shooting I never used ball starter; only a ramrod. The barrel never got difficult to load on either gun.

I doesn't appear to smoke...any. After each shot I could immediately view the target through the scope. I fired 24 shots total and all were instant ignition.

The powder isn't easy to find yet, but give it time. I think we finally have a powder that lives up to the hype many companies have pushed over the years.

DuckHunt
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Just a follow up on Thursdays' range session since now it is cleaning time. Both muzzleloaders have been cased sitting in my house since Thursday. Blackhorn 209 advertises that it is non-corrosive. Well, you be the judge.
#1: Image
#2: Image

The advertising saying it has less residue is true. It only took about five minutes to clean each gun. Six patches on one and five patches on the other. Both bores glisten like a new coin.

All in all it is a vast improvement over other black powder substitutes. Even though it is a bit more corrosive than I would have expected, it is still less than many alternatives. And with cleanup is so easy you won't mind a quick cleaning after shooting. If you were thinking of switching so you wouldn't have to clean it for a while, think again.

BTW, here is the last 100 yard target I was plinking.

DuckHunt
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good write up and pics. I have been using 777. Now that my powder stock is low, I think I will certainly give the Buckhorn a shot. I have to check around for powder stock for my Omega. Western Gunpowders has been getting good reviews in the last years.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I bought a case of BH 209 but haven't tried it yet. I had some problems with my CVA Optima Pro last year and sent it to CVA and they sent a new rifle!! Now that's customer service, they even sent a new sling with it. It's been so hot here lately that I haven't felt like putting the scope on and shooting it. I can only pray that I get the accuracy that your getting with yours. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Thanks for the heads up on this powder .I`m also maybe going to try it ,now the next problem will be to find it and not be raped in the price. :lol:
Fred

Post by Fred »

A friend has a 209 system on his rifle and it miss fires REGULARLY I have an old Austin and Halleck and it seems like the 209 breech plug has an awfully small hole for the fire to jump through compared to mine I just use # 11 caps and a hot nipple and never have a problem everone acts like the 209 is the best thing since rabbit gravy but I have to say I'm not impressed.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'll probably try it in my 209 ignition inline before ML season, but I'm not sure which ML I'll hunt with until season gets here. :lol: I't usually a weather based decision. Dry weather = traditional sidelock, wet weather = inline. :wink:
I have a new 21" fast twist barrel for my T/C Hawken that is begging to set in a tree stand with me this winter, but it's #11 ignition. So far it's printed some pretty impressive groups with conicals or sabots, and it sure is sweet to carry and shoot. It definately prefers regular old fffg black powder, though.
It's good to hear the BH209 performs well. What is the recommended solvent for cleanup? (I like plain old H2O), and was there any sign of the "dreaded crud ring" that is associated with some of the other powders?
wabi
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

wabi wrote:What is the recommended solvent for cleanup? (I like plain old H2O), and was there any sign of the "dreaded crud ring" that is associated with some of the other powders?
Wabi,
I'm happy to report that there is no crud ring. Actually, there is less fouling after a dozen shots of this than with 1 shot using Triple-7.

As for cleanup, they recommend that you don't use water. Any solvent that you would normally use to clean firearms should work great. I've always used either WD-40 or RemOil on mine depending on what was in reach. Right now I'm using WD-40 and it only took a few patches to make it glisten in the photo above. I still took out the breech plug to swab all the way through. Previously I 'gave it a bath' in hot water an dish washing liquid. That required me to disassemble down to the bare barrel with scope. I always hated having to treat the scope gingerly in the sink. Those days are gone now. The only thing I have to do is remove the breech plug and swab it out.

DuckHunt
wabi

Post by wabi »

DuckHunt,
Your cleaning supplies sound like mine! :lol:
I keep a can of WD-40 right beside a can of RemOil on my bench! :shock:
I have a couple pounds of T-7, but I use it in my shotgun (T/C NewEnglander with a 209 conversion nipple) only. The rifles all get Pyrodex or real BP. So far no other replicas I've tried have been equal for accuracy. T-7 is good, but many were poor. This new powder sounds like it may give good accuracy, which is #1 on my list of importance. The easy cleanup and non-corrosive are definately a bonus, but not top priority. No water cleanup would definately be a bonus, since the WD-40 is for getting the water out before I use the RemOil. :lol:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive only heard good things about the powder so I may give it a try since I need new pellets this season
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

This 209 bp substitute doesnt come in pellets?
There is no smoke after the shot?
jay
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Jay,

Blackhorn 209 only comes as loose powder. I didn't notice any smoke at all in my testing.

DuckHunt
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

For those interested, here is a small sample of what this new powder looks like up close.

It looks far more modern than most black powder substitutes.

DuckHunt
saxman

Post by saxman »

I cant find any localy or any real blackpowder for the flinter.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i know this is a old post, but on average how many loads(100grains) can you get from one container? The local dealer has some coming in this week and I wanted to get a container to try but he doesn tknow the size of the containers