Climbing Tree Stands Part I

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I own the TreeWalker treestand. I went to the warehouse in Seymore,Tenn. (about 100 miles from where I live ) and checked them out before my purchase. I have owned about 6 Summits , loggy buyou.
an API climber, a Long Wolf sit & climb. and a Timbertall. So I've tryed
most of the climbers at one time or another.
The Long Wolf carried well but I could'nt get comfortable in it and I like a securiety bar around me for in case I take a nap. The Timbertall was light
but no room to move. The Timbertall climbs nothing like the Tree Walker.
The Tree Walker has 6 heavy bolts on the plattform and 6 on the top.
to bite.
I was really surprised at how well they bite into the tree and the stand does'nt shift or move at all. The cable system uses the pin system like you said and you can see the cable through the hole. The cables did'nt drag on the tree like the Timbertall Cables do. The plastic wrap on the cables is tight and does'nt make any noise.
The stand is well balanced. I told the guy Iwould have to put a bungee on
the platform to lift with because of bad feet. He said just try it first and I would be surprised. He told the truth. Climbs easy. It's plenty wide and long. Ive spread out in my golden years. The net seat is very comfortable .You can slide the net to either end of the stand to climb with or sit on to hunt. There is an accessory called a chill pad if the net is not enough. I went for less weight. That's what I have against Summits. Too heavy and unconfortable to carry. The platform is grateing instead of bars . Won't creel your foot and easy to strap extra clothes to. There is a shooting
bar/ back rest if facing the other way you can get but I just keep my top platform about knee high and put my elbow on the rail.
It has a built in foot rest, I like comfort. The top and bottom is built so close to each others size , you don't have to bungee it together to carry.
It just snaps together and stays together till you pry them apart without
any NOISE. It carrys well. I plan on carrying my bow on my shoulder and carrying the stand with my left hand. This stand is quiet, roomy ,solid,
comfortable, climbs well, and is light and carrys well. It fits trees 8 to 26 in. wide. I have found when starting at the bottom of the tree, to set the platforms a little higher in the back than I did the Summits to level them out. No problem with a little practice. Cost was about $330.00 tax and all.
Same as most top end stands. Lifetime warrenty on stand, 3 years on net seat and cables. 100 % american manufactured. There is also a model with a removable end rail if you want an open front after you climb your tree. If I left out any thing , just ask. :)
Tenn.

Equinox
Youngun

Getting a start in climbers!

Post by Youngun »

Hey everyone!
First off great forum!
Next, ill make this short.
I am 21, active, about 180, 5'9", and i love to hunt.
I Love using climbers, and this year is my year to get one for myself.
However, i have no clue what to get.
I do like a shooting rail, and i like a bit of versatility.
Weight is not a huge deal, as it doesn't bother me at this age to carry heavy loads long distances or through the woods.
I can handle a small stand, but as i said, i would like a rail, and a sturdy platform to stand on and stretch every now and again. (you were all 21 once, you remember what it was like to get chills at the idea of sitting still)
Last but not least, i am in college, which means i am pretty tight on money, so used, or a little lower on the fancy name scale wont bother me.
If anyone would like to sell a stand, i would love to know, but some ideas would be great! Thanks so much for all the great information and wholesome talk.
At this point, College is just keeping me from hunting!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome!

The Summit Viper SS and the LoneWolf climbers seem to be the most well-liked.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
jaclark

Post by jaclark »

new forum member and first post, glad to see this review although after much research I bought my "perfect climber" at Ill deer classic last FEB., I've owned tree lounge,summit and timbertall and as for me treewalker has them all beat hands down, light, no hassle packing, easiest set up of any and it grips a tree like theres no tomorrow, I drove 4 hrs to look at this stand before purchase and was not dissappointed, a quality product
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum jaclark :)
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Welcome aboard jaclark, Everything you said about the TreeWalker
is true. Not a better stand made in my opinion.
I'll be useing mine for a solid week starting Saturday on a hunting
trip to middle Tennessee. 4 more days. :D
Tenn.

Equinox
Youngun

You're convincing me

Post by Youngun »

Well it sounds like the treewalkers are the best. As i look at some pictures, the treewalkers have so many options.
Could someone give a few highlights that you love about different stands?
Thanks so much!
At this point, College is just keeping me from hunting!
leehanna

lone-wolf-alpha-sit-and-climb

Post by leehanna »

Good information for ones caring about : http://www.deer-stands.net/deer-stands/ ... -and-climb
Hope you find it good!
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I purchased the Tree Lounge 12 years ago.

The stand works because you really can spend the day in a tree... in comfort. I feel that is key. There are alot of bucks shot between 1100am and 300pm. :lol:

I felt the climb up and down was solid and secure. It would grip the tree well. Once in place, you had to spin around, and that was kind of hairy. But once I sat down in the seat, it was worth it. It also has side rails that keep you from falling out. Can't go forward, backwards, or sideways if you fall asleep.

It was quiet when I moved around. I ordered the bowhunter adapter and was glad I did. I could stand up easily. Even during gun season, it was nice to be able to stand every so often. It also aided with the turn around part.

I could shoot in any direction, 360 degrees. That is a big plus.

I also ordered the bow holder and the rifle holder. That was a nice feature. I don't think a crossbow would work in either of the setups. It would probably be tough to manage.

It was heavy, and hard to lug.

My friend was starting out in hunting and was afraid to climb trees, but wanted to anyways. I sold it to him for less than I paid, but still enough to where I felt it had held it's value. He loves it. I told him to lug it to his stand site, and when finished, leave it. You can remove the foot portion and the seat's crossbar, chain it, and it will likely remain right there. Useless to thieves.

You have to be very careful selecting your tree. Because it hangs outward, if the tree were rotted at the base, it could fell the tree and powerdrive you into the ground.

Lots of accesories, too.

So......that's it.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The treelounge is indeed very comfy.

This is one of the Swede's favorite stands here on the property.

We set it up as a permanent stand as you can see.

It is just too heavy to lug around.

Undertaker

Re: Climbing Tree Stands Part I

Post by Undertaker »

Very nice, I like that.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I have owned an Ol'Man climber for many years but didn't use it much mostly due to the uncomfortable backpack straps. This year I bought an A.L.I.C.E. pack frame and attached the stand to it (I remove it when I climb the tree). I wish I had thought of that years ago! I really like using the climber and I harvested a deer from it this year. The weight is still an issue (about 26lbs) but it is manageable with the pack frame. It climbs very easily and is very comfortable to sit in. If and when I buy another one I will really consider the weight in my purchase decision. TC
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

I started out with a home made climber a buddys dad used to make in Tenn in his spare time, then went to the Loggy which didnt feel safe with either but young and dumb was hardheaded. Then decided to try the API which got a little better. Finally settled on the Big Shot Buck Shot and found it light,easy to attach to tree and you could sit facing the tree or with back to tree. Have taken a feew aternoon naps in it and with the side rails for the backrest had neo fear of falling out. I use it alot. Apparently the company split and one of the partners makes them under the Austin name which I have looked at for a back=up but its too cheeply made. Below Is the one I use all the time when not in a blind..
Attachments
buckshot_magnum.jpg
buckshot_magnum.jpg (14.46 KiB) Viewed 4404 times
Last edited by Bambiblaster on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
Cworetired

Post by Cworetired »

This has benn a great subject with tons of info. I will be getting my first climber soon and thank you all for the great info. Will we be talking about the saftey harness, hope so.