Any experiences with chair blinds?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Any experiences with chair blinds?????

Post by wabi »

Shopping online to see the new offerings in blinds this year, and I noticed the chair blinds are starting to creep down in price. I've thought of a 2-man chair blind for portability for my son & myself to hunt from. I was looking in Cabela's and see the Ameristep is $99. now. I could probably scrape together that much cash if I skipped a few meals. :wink: :lol: I just wonder how they would work with a crossbow?
Any field experience or informed opinions would be appreciated!
wabi
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

We have used the two man ladder stands from Walmart.

They have a padded cushion which makes them easier on the postierior.

They are usually around $100 and go even lower at seasons end.

Twelve foot is high enough to hunt for me but you can always add another section or two; just for sport!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g223/ ... NSTAND.jpg

Comes with two full body saftey harnesses-http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g223/ ... arness.jpg
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I haven't sat in one yet but was thinking the same thing. I saw one at Dick's last Monday but was in a hurry and didn't have time to check it out. The problem with the ladder stand is that the standing platform is extremely narrow and when Tyler tried try to turn sideways and shoot his vert compound, there's not a lot of "foot room" making him feel a little uncomfortable. I do know they sell some that have a larger platform but I think that we'll stick with ground blinds right now.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I brought my bow to a local shop to see how it fit in there, a 2 man chair blind. It was a snug fit, unless you are confident with the deers approach angle it is tough to get much movement from the bow. However, if you can have a decent guess about where the deer will cross it is an excellent and safe way to hunt with a kid.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Chopper Charlie

Post by Chopper Charlie »

Have used one for 3 years and think they are great! Take your x-bow and make sure the size of blind is big enough for your bow. The cheaper chairs are not worth buying, they fall apart quite quickly. Spend the extra to get good quality and you will be very happy. Some are even scent proof now and they are great for bad weather hunting. Allows you a lot more time in the woods in bad weather and they set up in seconds. Most importantly for me, being disabled, they allow you to move around inside without being detected. Also, the better ones have multiple windows that allow viewing and shooting from different angles.
Jumping to a conclusion is when a guy's parachute doesn't open and he complains about the pickup truck not being there??
Chopper Charlie

I assume you are talking about the ground chair blinds unlike some of the other postings that indicate ladder blinds. Sorry if I mistook your question!!
Jumping to a conclusion is when a guy's parachute doesn't open and he complains about the pickup truck not being there??
wabi

Post by wabi »

The chair blind I was looking at is the Ameristep on Cabela's web site.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I have a 2-man ladder stand, but it is NOT portable! I also have a couple ground blinds, but carrying the crossbow, a ground blind, and two folding chairs is a chore, too. I just thought the chair & blind combo might be a lot more portable. Actually, the price is not out of line when compared to a ground blind + 2 good folding chairs!
wabi
Chopper Charlie

I can't speak specifically to the Amersistep because I have not used one but I can tell you that my buddy bought a cheaper model than mine and was he ever sorry. No room, fell apart first time used and leaked. After 3 years of using mine, I paid $150 Cdn. I have absolutely no regrets. Wished I had bought it sooner. Make sure it has magnetic windows, removeable mesh screening, windows all around, including behind, and that the front opens wide enough to allow the limbs of your x-bow to clear. Mine does all of the above and I think it is a perfect design. Unfortunately, it is at the hunt camp or I would give you the make and model.
Cheating on any of the features I have mentionned will force compromises. I do know that they make a 2 seater version of mine and it was extremely roomy but a lot bulkier and heavier to carry. I have enough room to put all gear inside and still have room for eating and stretching out in the chair for a snooze. The chair is extremely comfortable for an all day sit, unlike my buddy's.
Cheers
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm not going to be buying it right away, so if you find out the brand name on yours, please let me know!
wabi
frisky

Post by frisky »

Interesting concept, for us old timers ( or should I say me)
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
JRS

Post by JRS »

I borrowed a one man Ameristep for gun hunting once. I felt very confined in it, there just wasn't enough room for my liking. Needless to say, I didn't bother getting my own. Perhaps the two man would be a different story.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

raydaughety wrote:The problem with the ladder stand is that the standing platform is extremely narrow and when Tyler tried try to turn sideways and shoot his vert compound, there's not a lot of "foot room" making him feel a little uncomfortable. I do know they sell some that have a larger platform but I think that we'll stick with ground blinds right now.
Boy, Ray, you got that right! What's up with that ridiculously shallow foot platform on the Wally World two-man ladder stands? You get my feet clad in Burly gumboots on there and it's like standing on a 2'X6" ... nuts! :? :(

Never used a ground blind ... I'd like to have one, though.
Grizz
sevenmmstalker

Post by sevenmmstalker »

try this link http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/ ... ?SKU=81414 The doghouse blind at 59.99. Copy and paste.
http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/ ... SKU=99795A
This link is the outhouse blind for 39.50
I have used the doghouse with good results as long as it is put out well before the season for deer. Turkeys it does not seem to bother...I have had them peck the blind with me in it the day it was put out.
The doghouse is bigger than the outhouse. Nice on a rainy day.
Hunters do it in the woods.
Exomax
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think they'd be too tight for bowhunting. but gun hunting they're be great I would assume.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've hunted out of the Ameristep Outhouse blind and find it can be tough to keep the bow inside the blind. I've found that deer will often spook if the bow or gun extends out of the blind. Seems to me that I'd have the same problem with a chair blind.

I prefer the larger Doghouse blind - it has room for some gear, and it lets me shift the chair around roots, rocks and ruts. I can also shoot 360 degrees without shifting the blind.

To transport, I stuff my chair in the blind bag and carry it all in together - no problem. After a few seasons of using stools I now use a chair with a back - warmer and more comfortable for long sits. The basic camo chairs without arms from Walmart are great - they seem to have a flatter seat which makes it easier to hold up a bow or gun.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.