red dot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tuskntine

red dot

Post by tuskntine »

Thinking about trying a red dot scope . So far I haven't looked at one ,so I am not up to speed on how the work . Do they have lines for diff. yardage like the lumizone does ? If not , how do you set them up ?
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Chopper Charlie

Post by Chopper Charlie »

2 types of red dot. One has only one dot the other type has 3 dots which work the same way as the scope does. U should know that most red dots are not magnified. Also, the dot size is usually as large as 6 m.o.a., while some can be as small as 3 m.o.a.. Have never found a red dot at 1 m.o.a. Better quality red dots can be dialed for brightness of the dot, most often up to a scale of 10 in brightness. They are all battery powered so forgetting to turn them off can leave you without power. Usually use a coin size battery. Prices range from about $50 up to $150 depending on power. The more expensive ones sometimes are magnified to about 2X. The small size is beneficial compared to a scope, whereas a scope provides magnification which helps at longer ranges. For a x-bow the red dot normally would be better except that the dot covers a larger area,i.e. at 50 yards a 6m.o.a. would cover 3 inches of target. If you consider that a crossbow has about a 3 inch accuracy at 50 yards that means that a red dot would only make you about accurate within 6 inches of where you want to hit.
Hopes this helps
Jumping to a conclusion is when a guy's parachute doesn't open and he complains about the pickup truck not being there??
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol:If you are looking to put a red dot on your crossbow or shotgun my own .02 cents is don't waste your money...on my crossbow I have the Excalibur scope....I had a red dot on my shotgun til the first time i went deer hunting with it...the deer was about 75 yrds away and the red dot bocked it out completely....needless to saqy the red dot came off it that night back in camp and I know have a real scope on my 870 pump gun! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've had a couple red-dots that were decent on the crossbow. A "Hammers" brand 2X single dot gave good accuracy, and a "Tru-Glo" 3 dot for crossbows was good, but the dots ended up being on at 13-25-37 yards (if my memory is right) sighted in with the center dot on @ 25.
The need for a battery is the weakness in the red-dot sights. Anyone who uses one will eventually forget to turn it off. (like the dry-fire club, not a matter of if, a matter of when)
I just kept envisioning how "the buck of a lifetime" would look through a sight with no dots due to a dead battery! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
frisky

Post by frisky »

I have one on my first bow a PSE. ( I had one on my vert bow also) I thought it worked good at 20 yard ,my zero. They were easy to see early morning or late evening. During the day, with bright sunshine/ snow I could NOT SEE THE DOT. Go with a Verizone or better a Lumizone!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
MADMAX2

Red Dot

Post by MADMAX2 »

I use one because of low light situations the one I have is a red head from bass pro.
The best things in life are not things!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

for the price of a red dot you can get a bushnell Banner 1.5x4.5 scope for about $65
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Get a LUMIZONE and be done with it :)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Thanks for all the info . I am going to stick to my Verizone until i can afford the Lumizone. No need in trying to fix something thats not broke.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
motuna

Post by motuna »

Nice to hear about all your great scopes, but remember there are states like here in Alabama, that you can not use any magnification with your scope. That's why I use the Red Dot from Wal-mart for $29.95 :D :D