Excalibur Crossbow recommendations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chopper Charlie

Excalibur Crossbow recommendations

Post by Chopper Charlie »

Fairly new to Excals but not to bows and crossbows. This question may open a hornets nest but, man, am I ever having trouble getting good info on what is, or could be, the best Excalibur crossbow. Live in a small town with an Excal dealer that knows diddly squat about the product. Everytime I ask a question all I get is "DUH".
I'm about to buy an Excal but cannot even get help from the dealer. Being disabled I was going to go with the Phoenix for ease of pull, because of the difficulty of pulling anything heavier but have since found out that I must use the crankaroo. That being said should I now consider a stronger bow since pulling isn't going to be the problem. I mostly deer, bear and moose hunt, so, in the opinion of the experts out there, am I doing the right thing with the Phoenix or should I consider something stronger now that I need the crankaroo anyway? Two broken backs and a broken neck prevent me from pulling any heavy weight with my arms. Are all bows approx. the same overall weight, size, etc. Is more than the Phoenix overkill, or is there true value in going to a heavier pull bow. I think this gives a good oversight as to what I am trying to achieve. Any and all help appreciated before I possibly make a mistake!!
Jumping to a conclusion is when a guy's parachute doesn't open and he complains about the pickup truck not being there??
mikej

Post by mikej »

i would go with the phoenix that what i use i love it. as far as the dealer i have dealt with that dealer( yakabuskis) when steve was there it was great had lots of good dealings with him now that the new guy is there its terrible he knows nothing about bows at all especially excals i will NEVER go back they are a joke i would recomend cheshers in bancroft great dealer very good with excals good prices thats where i bought mine and will continue to deal with them just an opinion for you

mike
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I have a vixen delux and have taken several deer and bear with it with no problems but if i was in the market for a new bow I would buy a exocet 2000 because I still like the old stock.it gives you power and speed. the difference between my vixen and a phoenix is not enough to warrant a change.I shoot bolts at around 330 grains so I have decent speed. I would look at exocet 200 {wit 2 00,s} and a Vortex to decide which stock configuration you like.Some will say you can take a moose with a vixen and the record in ont. was taken with a vixen but every shot is not close and ideal that is the reason for my recomendation.the exomax is the top line but too much bow,unless you are big and with strong arms.the main reason I bought the vixen is I,m getting older to fast and have neck and shoulder problems and it will suit my future needs,but I still like the exocet 200.
mikej

Post by mikej »

no matter what excalibur you bought you wouldn't make a mistake
sunset

Post by sunset »

First off CC no matter which model Excalibur you decide to go with it wont be a mistake.
As far as I am aware all Excalibur models utilize the same limbs and same stocks...although you can now choose between traditional or thumbhole. The velocities and energies increase by lengthening the string travel range or installing the limbs on a longer deck, however you like to say it. Overall lengths increase by an inch each time. I believe the weights are quite consistant even though the longer bows feel "muzzle heavy" with their limbs further out.
Camo finish starts at the Phoenix.
Hope this helps.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Go with your gut CC . . .just go with your gut. They are all good enough for what you are hunting. The only reason I would consider a heavier bow is for range(trajectory). The extra speed will give you a flatter shot and it might make a difference at longer ranges(longer than 30 yards+/-). However, in all likelyhood, the heavier bow will make little difference in your hunt/harvest. Go with your gut.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Chopper Charlie

Post by Chopper Charlie »

Mikej,
You hit the nail right on the head!! Unfortunately, after 6 operations for 2 broken backs and a broken neck, driving has become a thing of the past.
I take unlimited amounts of morphine just to keep going. A drive to Cheshers would be like a drive to Vancouver, as any drive further than about 10 miles lays me up in bed for 2 days. I agree with you though that a drive to Cheshers would otherwise be worth it.
Any sort of technical info from Yaks is out of the question, so it is a little like flying blind, and when I'm about to spend close to a thousand bucks I would like to know what I'm doing. I do know an Excal is all I want, nothing else. I already own a Barnett veloci-speed and I won't do that again. It's also like flying blind when it comes to tech help.
I have a pm from another person recommending Cheshers and the stated prices are far better than Yaks. Have to see what happens in the next day or so. Thanks for help
Cheers
Jumping to a conclusion is when a guy's parachute doesn't open and he complains about the pickup truck not being there??
wabi

Post by wabi »

The biggest mistake I made was purchasing a Vixen.............
then reading posts here and wondering "What if?". More speed sure sounds good! So I sold the Vixen and bought an Exocet (the 175# model). The new Exocet killed deer if I put the arrow in the right place, but so had the Vixen :oops: . Then came the new riser and the Phoenix, so I sold the Exocet an bought a Phoenix! :D It kills deer every deer I hit in the right place, too.
Bottom line - any of the Excaliburs will do the job! It's more a matter of selecting the right broadhead, keeping it sharp, and putting it where it should go for a quick kill.
The Phoenix fits me (and my physical capabilities) well, so I'm sticking with it. I'm not too tall, so the Phoenix is the maximum draw length and weight for me cocking it without some sort of aid, and although I use the rope aid 99.9% of the time I like to know I can still shoot if I loose the rope or need a quick second shot. The velocity is fine for my type hunting, and it's my belief velocity is sometimes overrated, anyway. For my style of hunting (and way of thinking) it's more important to learn the capability of your bow, know the game you're hunting, set ethical limits, and stick to them!
Not saying there aren't advantages to a heavier/faster model, just saying it's my personal decision that the advantages of the lighter model fits my hunting style just fine.
My advice - select the model that sounds best for your physical capabilities and learn it's limits while practicing until you are deadly accurate with your shots. Then find and use the best arrow/broadhead combination for the best accuracy from your bow. Keep broadheads sharp, and place them where they should go, and you will kill any critter in North America with any of the Excaliburs!
wabi