Deer contest rule change opinion/survey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Should we edit the contest rules for buck scoring?

Yes, change to promote good herd management!
53%
No, leave it be!
47%

Total votes: 17

crazyfarmer

Deer contest rule change opinion/survey

Post by crazyfarmer »

current submissions rules are as follows

Bucks
-one buck can be scored as such (no culls )

Does
-up to two does may be counted per hunter
-a buck submitted after a hunter has already summited a buck will count towards the doe total

The crrent issue is with the bold above. Should we leave that the same or try and promote good buck managment and edit that rule.

I vote that we change it as follows

Bucks
-one buck can be scored as such (no culls )
-Any additional bucks taken will not count towards the contest scoring.

Does
-up to two does may be counted per hunter
wabi

Post by wabi »

If anything, I'd like to see a rule change to allow 3 does to be scored.
In Ohio we're allowed only 1 antlered deer per year, but up to 7 deer total in my zone. It's highly probable I won't even shoot a buck!
If it's an obviously old buck with a small rack I'll shoot it to get it out of the gene pool, or a trophy rack for obvious reasons, but a young buck with a nice rack will probably be allowed to walk!
How about keeping it simple? Up to 3 deer can be entered, but only 1 may be a buck!
wabi
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

simple scoring rules in a club I play with; we hunt all seasons and bow kills score .

Five person teams will be drawn randomly.

Bucks = 3 bucks per person can be entered. Inside spread plus number of points for score.

Button bucks score 0.

Doe= No limit .The first 3 doe entered per person are worth 10 points. ANY doe after that is 1 point and no bonus points.
Last edited by mdcrossbow on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

this is what members follow during the year;

THE OFFICIAL TEAM SCORE TOTALS WILL BE POSTED HERE. FEEL FREE TO REPLY AND TALK ALL THE SMACK YOU WANT. I WILL BE KEEPING TRACK OF ALOT OF NUMBERS, SO IF YOU SEE ANY MISTAKES PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

LUNGBUSTERS-275
RACKING UP POINTS-240
ONE SHOT-229
TREE RATS-226
TAG'EM & DRAG'EM-196
DROPPIN' DUECES-179
THE BACKSTRAP BOYS-171
TEAM TANK -170
WHACKEM & STACKEM-161
KICKERS AND STICKERS-158
FULL DRAW-140
TREEHUGGERS-139
BAMBI BUTCHERS-132
RACKMASTERS-127
RUT&GUT-116
LUCKY 7'S-99
HEARTSTOPPERS-92
THE LAST LAUGH-64

Team 1 TEAM TANK-170
MrsBowdeadly -B17-D10,10,10,1,1
ShedhunterMD-B25-D10,8,8,1,1,1,1,1
TankTruck-D8,8,8
Sikahunter-S21-D10
Bobbievelvet-D10

Team 2 DROPPIN' DUECES-179
Sipe-D10,10
Jakyll-B30,8-D10,10,10,1,1,1,1,1,1
Rainman-B22-D10,8
Jgeskey-D10,8
Sikafreak-B27

Team 3 RUT & GUT-116
grunt-S18-B18
ShoreGuy-S20
Nock1-D10,10,10
VinneB-D10,10,10
CoptrDr

Team 4 BAMBI BUTCHERS-132
HunterDan-B12
Deldeerhunter-B32
DV-B15
JLH-B28,25-D10
Proliner-D10

Team 5 RACKMASTERS-127
Blondefox-B18-D10
Chig-D10,8,8,1,1
GrzyBow-D10,10,10
ArcherNG-D10
Timberghost-D10,10,10,1

Team 6 HEARTSTOPPERS-92
Hockeybuck-D10
StickerLT
bigbuckilla-B21,23-D10
Stevens
bf-D10,10,8

Team 7 LUCKY 7'S-99
wallow
Andy
Boxoantlers-B26
CoastieJohn-D10,8,8,1,1
Dell5-B15-D10,10,10

Team 8 LUNGBUSTERS-275
Marshrabbit-S33-B23,25-D8
Droptine59-D8,10,8
baikir-D10,8
CharlieP-B17-D10,10,8,1,1,1,1
ARO-B23,22,21-D10,8,8,1

Team 9RACKING UP POINTS-240
Buckhammer-S24
Bowtroll-B25,27-D10,10
USC4good
Doomsday-D10,10,8,1,1
campkingmd-B25,35,28-D10,8,8

Team 10 TREE RATS-226
Nate-S27-B22-D10,10,8,1,1
Fshafly2-B27,30-D10,10,10
Cookie-B27-D10,10,10,1,1,1
Lou Compton
Boondoggle

Team 11 KICKERS ANS STICKERS-158
Kevin-D10
Chuck21632-B22-D10,10
HeavyHorn-B14,B24-D10,10,10
Hammerdog-B18-D10,10
LtDanmagoo

Team 12 TAG'EM & DRAG'EM-196
easternshorebowhunter-B20-D10,10,10
upatree-S10-B19-D10,8,10
Ted10gauge-D10,10,10,1
Duckinfool72
cbHunter-B25-D10,10,10,1,1,1

Team 13 THE BACKSTRAPS BOYS-171
BuckRub243-B22-D10,10
Bdhunter-B19-D10,10,10
Dougwigfield-D8,8
Bowhunter40-S19-B14-D10,10,10,1
Pugs

Team 14 FULL DRAW-140
AirforceK9
Saahha-B20
00sika-B22,15-D10,10
FrenchFry1-B25,23
Slowbow-B5-D10

Team 15 WHACKEM & STACKEM-161
StephenC
Browtine-B14,8,26-D10,8,8
BowDeadly-B14,22,17-D10,10,10,1,1,1,1
Link
BH4life

Team 16 TREEHUGGERS-139
Ocired
lkessler
Psehunter-B7-D10,10,8,1,1,1
Pjhunter-D8,8
Bowsniper-B26,26-D10,10,10,1,1,1

Team 17 ONESHOT-229
Oakcreek-B24,20-D10,10,10,1,1
Bambekler-B19-D10,10,10,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
Spookhunter-B20-D10
OneShot-B27,21-D8
MrsOakcreek-D8

TEAM 18 THE LAST LAUGH-64
ArrowSlinger
BowTime-B4
YoungBuck82
Realcrazyfish-D10,10,10
MDbowhunter1-D10,10,10
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

mdcrossbow wrote:simple scoring rules in a club I play with;

Five person teams will be drawn randomly.

Bucks = 3 bucks per person can be entered. Inside spread plus number of points for score.

Button bucks score 0.

Doe= No limit .The first 3 doe entered per person are worth 10 or 8 with a gun points. ANY doe after that is 1 point and no bonus points.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

WABI WROTE; "Sorry guys & gals, but my take on it is:
The more rules, the better the odds someone IS going to be excluded from FAIR competition.
If it gets so competetive that we all don't have a chance to participate JUST FOR FUN I don't want to be involved! I'm sure I could come up with a set of rules to give someone hunting in my state and zone an advantage, but that wouldn't be fair by any means."

I guess its time for me to get back up on my soap box again. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission spends thousands of hours each year determining the best management practices for the deer herd in my state. For the last 20 years or so they have determined that
Florida has too many bucks for the number of does. Therefore they have continued to allow a 2 buck per day bag limit to remove the inferior bucks from the herd. Remember, the season here goes from Oct. till the end of Feb with this 2 buck per day bag limit. I personally see more bucks than does, many with inferior genetic qualitys and I try to remove them from our herd when I can. By this, I am manageing our herd as the athorities have requested.
We only have a very short doe season (5 days I think on private land only) around Christmas for those that are in the hunt for the meat. Most of our public WMA'S do not recognize this "doe week" as it doesnt comply with state deer management practices. This would mean that against the State Management guidlines, we are to find some private land somewhere (good luck) and shoot two does in less than one week. This act, although legal, would be harming our herd instead of helping it. By conducting this poll, I believe it is a deliberate act to restrict Team Florida's chances of fairly participating by making us adhear to northern deer management practices. This is unfortunate and unfair and I protest this poll even being submited. Look at the results so far..90% of the members on this forum are from up north, they naturally are going to vote according to the way they have been told to manage northern deer herds. How can this be a fair poll under these conditions? Up north you remove does to manage the herd, down here in Florida, we are told to remove bucks to manage the herd (2 per day). Dont make us go against our State Game Biologists by killing the does that we have for the sake of a contest. If this rule is adopted, we will participate under protest but in my opinion it would be unfair to us to adopt this rule. Remember, the only reason we won last year was each team member took 3 deer, we one by shear numbers, not deer sex.
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

FL, wasnt trying to offend anyone here:)

I'm just stepping aside and ya'll can pick the rules. I doubt I even enter this time around since its no way to keep everyone happy :oops:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

What was wrong with last year's rules?

Why is a change needed?

Let peopleshoot whatever they want as long as it is legal.

I don't believe that we should be imposing our "buck limits" on somone else.

IMHO...

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I'm with Woody getting to complicated in here. I'll enter still but holy cow lets just have fun, the more the rules the less the fun. Think pond hockey or lot ball.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

The rules last year were fair, and the "contest" was FUN :!: :!:

"Good buck management" is a personnal choice, and should be kept as such.

If ones ego gets hurt or inflated as a result of this contest they are in the "contest" for the wrong reasons.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

chris4570 wrote:The rules last year were fair, and the "contest" was FUN :!: :!:

"Good buck management" is a personal choice, and should be kept as such.

If ones ego gets hurt or inflated as a result of this contest they are in the "contest" for the wrong reasons.
AMEN Brother, preach on! When a deer gives you an opportunity to make a clean kill and you feel that you have to base your decision on what harvesting that animal will do to your score in this contest, then I really think that you should rethink why your hunting in the first place. I think that all this changing will be confusing and is really not needed. Tyler and I had a ball last year, it was fun!!! Speaking of Tyler, if we chose to allow crossbows only then he won't be able to participate because the state of NC says that he can't hunt with a crossbow unless he breaks a few bones.
:evil:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

raydaughety wrote:
chris4570 wrote:The rules last year were fair, and the "contest" was FUN :!: :!:

AMEN Brother, preach on! When a deer gives you an opportunity to make a clean kill and you feel that you have to base your decision on what harvesting that animal will do to your score in this contest, then I really think that you should rethink why your hunting in the first place. I think that all this changing will be confusing and is really not needed. Tyler and I had a ball last year, it was fun!!! Speaking of Tyler, if we chose to allow crossbows only then he won't be able to participate because the state of NC says that he can't hunt with a crossbow unless he breaks a few bones.
well said Ray;) I was thinking of your boy also when I said the comment about allowing all firearms. No one had issues with the bonus pts for last season. The only issues were bucks as always LOL

also, like you said.. if anyone feels they have to go against their state laws just to enter a contest, then they are losing the concept of the great outdoors and hunting. Its not about contests, its about you having fun and sharing with others 8)
mikej

Post by mikej »

raydaughety wrote:

i agree with you as well ray any firearm legal for hunting in ones state should be included thus making everyone able to participate i just believe it should be 1 entry of your choice( not one deer) per person that would make it more even and enjoyable for everyone

mike
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

sorry my soapbox speach got a little defensive, and some parts were harsh. By telling us we have to shoot does would be like me telling my northern brothers they have to shoot only bucks. It just doesnt make for good deer management for their area. lets keep this contest simple and fair and most important lets keep it fun! I could have harvested a dozen does last year but it would go against the experts that manage the state bag limits. Sax could have sat in my blind on my property during doe week and killed a half dozen himself. I harvest only inferior mature (4+ yr. old) bucks with antlers that will never grow to trophy size. These 4,5,and 7 pt. bucks continue to breed our does and are a detriment to the quality of our future bucks. They need to be taken out of the herd so our quality bucks can breed what does we have.
I think the contest rules were fair the way they were except the starting date needs to reflect whatever the earlyest legal hunting season for the state one would be hunting.
jay
TPM

Post by TPM »

I never participated in last years contest in fact I barely followed it. With the vastly different season lengths, bag limits and management pratices of the different areas our members live and hunt in there is no way it's a level playing field. In many areas up here you are only allowed one deer per season on your licence. Other areas do allow you to buy additional game seals but this can get rather expensive. I don't refrain from participating out of protest but rather out of the fact that I only have two deer seals per season while others have two deer per day limits. :?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger