Rage 2 blade

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cpoole

Rage 2 blade

Post by cpoole »

I tried a Rage 2 blade today from my Vortex at 330 fps. The first shot from 15 yards was through paper a few inches in front of the targer. I noticed the blades were open before it reached the target. My 2nd shot with the same broadhead from 20 yards did fare quite so well. It opened before reaching the target causing the arrow to hit the end of my target and breaking my arrow in two. How is everyone else shooting these broadheads so successfully out of their crossbows? They shoot great from my compound bow at 280 fps.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Cpoole,

I shot the Rage 2 blades out of my Exocet last year and never had one open premature. I suggest you check your o-rings. I bought 2 packs off a forum member where 3 broadheads had been used (never shot though) and the o-rings had slightly dry rotted/deteriorated preventing the blades from locking solidly. I fixed it by ordering new o-rings.

Rich
Normous

Post by Normous »

The 3 blade worked perfect for me. As Rich said, check the o ring and always check the blade seating before loading.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

how exactly did you tell that they were open before hitting? I shoot the 3blade and havent had a issue. Whether they opened in flight or not, the deer I shot didnt go far. I only shoot the practice head though since im not wasting a 10-12buck head for practice :D

but I always make sure the blades are seated before loading. They do work loose, but it only takes a quick check. :D
cpoole

Post by cpoole »

The first shot I took I shot it through a piece of paper from about 15 yards and the paper had a nice 2 in cut on it. The arrow flew great, so I suspected that the paper opened up the broadhead. The 2nd shot was from 20 yards and not through paper. The shot was straight to begin with and then just before reaching the target it planed off to one side very badly. It's possible it was the o-rings because when I put that one on I couldn't get one side to lock down. I had to take the o-ring off and put it back on. I thought it locked down but I'm not certain now. At $12 a broadhead, it's hard to do much practicing with the real thing but I won't hunt with an arrow/broadhead combination that I haven't shot the real combination instead of just the practice tip.
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

I have shoot the 3 blade rage with my bow last year and will now be shooting it with my Vortex. I have paper shot them when I first got my Vortex just to make sure they were not opening and had no problems.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
Rich

Post by Rich »

Cpoole,

Sounds like you have a bad o-ring, if it wouldn't lock down tight that was your issue. I ordered a dozen new ones from Rage for about $4. I also went to the auto parts store and bought a few just to test, they worked fine also. The practice points fly exactly the same as the real heads, no need to pratice with a new tip.

Rich
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

I have shot 3 balded Rage and had excellent success on the first outing as it did some awesome damage to the deer (posted on this forum). The second time I used them I got a premature opening and a sever turn to the left. That was the last time I used rage. I went back to the Spit fire 125 as it is so reliable.

I hate wounding deer. I much prefer the a rapid kill
Kendo
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
cpoole

Post by cpoole »

I agree with you Kendo. I think I'll shoot my Spitfires for a while. I do have some Slick Tricks on the way. I've always been a fan of a fixed broadhead, but I tend to keep both in my quiver.
cpoole

Post by cpoole »

Well I've ruled out the Rage. I don't want to hunt with a broadhead that is so sensitive to bumps and movement that it may cause me problems. Maybe for my compound but I'm not going to shoot them with my Vortex. I tried the Slick Tricks and Muzzy MX-3 in 100 gr and like them both. They both hit where my field tips hit. I think I'll be using these this season with an occasional NAP spitfire.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Glad we could help. :D
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur