Anyone try shimming up rizor on excal??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob-s

Anyone try shimming up rizor on excal??

Post by bob-s »

Hi everyone.

I believe it was "Enormous" who posted he shimmed up his xbow, --- that caught my attention. Hope Enormous will clarify what you tried, and the difference it made. From what you posted did you use a beveled shim? - noted the reference to angle change.

Just wondering if anyone else has and what were the results.

When I got an Equinox, I noticed the strong string contact at rest against the rail, so I epoxied in a 1/8 inch aluminum plate shim between the rail and the rizor. Now the serving just rests lightly against the rail at rest with very little angle of deflection.. I have yet to chrony my xbow. The Lumizone is cranked right up to 350 and with 455 grain arrow still is couple of inches high at 50 yards - sighted in dead on at 20 yards. From that I gather my speed is up there. With target tips it groups very tight. Should also point out I have installed a home made STS.

Thanks for any and all replies. :)

Bob.
mikew

Re: Anyone try shimming up rizor on excal??

Post by mikew »

bob-s wrote: <snip> Should also point out I have installed a home made STS.

Bob.
Bob, while I can't answer your shim question, I'm curious about your STS. Can you post a description & pictures?

Thanks,
-Mike
bob-s

re homemade STS

Post by bob-s »

Can do Mike --

Will dig out the digital camera when I get back later this afternoon. I used a couple of 2.5 inch by 2.5 inch L brackets from hardware store and couple of Limbsaver # 3412 ( screw on type) rubber dampers. The pic will explain it better than me. Got the idea from I believe this forum - someone else did the same. It sure cut down the noise and no diff. in speed.

Bob.

PS. --Should also add using factory FFF string.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bob . . .does that mean the riser is now seated above level of the rail? If you run your finger down the rail, then you can feel your finger hit the riser? If so, then that would be an issue if you ever took the STS off the bow.

Do you have a custom string on the bow or the factory string?

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gad

Re: Anyone try shimming up rizor on excal??

Post by gad »

Could you post a picture of the xbow with this 1/8 aluminum plate shim installed ?

Thanks in advance.
bob-s wrote:Hi everyone.

I believe it was "Enormous" who posted he shimmed up his xbow, --- that caught my attention. Hope Enormous will clarify what you tried, and the difference it made. From what you posted did you use a beveled shim? - noted the reference to angle change.

Just wondering if anyone else has and what were the results.

When I got an Equinox, I noticed the strong string contact at rest against the rail, so I epoxied in a 1/8 inch aluminum plate shim between the rail and the rizor. Now the serving just rests lightly against the rail at rest with very little angle of deflection.. I have yet to chrony my xbow. The Lumizone is cranked right up to 350 and with 455 grain arrow still is couple of inches high at 50 yards - sighted in dead on at 20 yards. From that I gather my speed is up there. With target tips it groups very tight. Should also point out I have installed a home made STS.

Bob.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
bob-s

here goes with the pics--

Post by bob-s »

Can't see how to post pics direct so did the link to host site thing --- pics are not great as they are a bit blurry - cheap camera.

Note the filed part on rizor channel notch so as not to interfere with the arrow laying flat in the rail channel. Scott the string is a FFF Excal factory type.

Bob.

Image[/img]
Last edited by bob-s on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikew

Post by mikew »

Thanks Bob!

It just so happens I have a pair of those limbsavers....

-Mike
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Does the vane in the groove hit the risor? I looked at my exocet and The vane, a blazer will hit it pretty hard. Might affect something.

Good luck, Stosh
bob-s

re shimming

Post by bob-s »

Thanks everyone for comments! Sorry have been slow to get back with replies.

STOSH --- thanks for the heads up--- never thought of the vanes touching. And yes they just touch, probably less than a 1/32 of an inch. I placed an arrow right there to test. Will remove just that small amount from rizor groove to clear them. I understand the blazer vanes are taller, so those shooting them must already hit the rizor on exit from an Excal xbow. Maybe could first try slight trim of the vanes on couple of arrows, and see what that does, before removing any rizor metal. Or maybe I will just keep shooting as is- accuracy does not seem to suffer at all.

SCOTT - thanks for the heads up -- I should call Excal. and discuss. I certainly was not impressed with the guy who sold me the bow. He's far more interested in vertical bows and made that clear when I purchased the Equinox. The setup was pathetic to say the least and a couple of questions I asked at the time were completely answered wrong.

I have to say though I am certainly very happy with the Equinox. :)

Bob.
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Did You gain any speed? I also think this is a good idea but I did not want to alter the risor.

Gettin closer, Stosh
bob-s

re shim---

Post by bob-s »

Stosh ---

I have yet to set up a crony and see exactly what my speed is. I do have a friend who also bought a new Equinox and it does seem to target shoot slightly flatter than his unmodified xbow, same string, arrows etc. After the hunting season hope to get around to testing. If the lumizone scope setting means anything, it is cranked right up to 350 and I'm still couple of inches high at 50 yds when dead on at 20 yds., with heavier arrow than factory spec.

Stosh -- thanks for heads up on the vanes touching in your earlier post! Never caught that until you mentioned it. They were just barely catching, until I got rid of 1/16 inch in the groove center. They clear now. The Excal factory FFF string sure keeps stretching, looking forward to ordering and trying Boo's FFF.

Happy and safe hunting everyone.

Bob. :)
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

It's up to you folks whether you want to fool with this sort of thing, but a word of warning. There are a lot of potential problems that shimmimg your limbs can cause, and we certainly can'y warrant any damage caused by this. Remember that we have already fooled with this stuff and if we thought it was a good idea we would be using it on our present riser.............Bill
gad

Post by gad »

Bill T wrote:It's up to you folks whether you want to fool with this sort of thing, but a word of warning. There are a lot of potential problems that shimmimg your limbs can cause, and we certainly can'y warrant any damage caused by this. Remember that we have already fooled with this stuff and if we thought it was a good idea we would be using it on our present riser.............Bill
Uau. After that, I am sure I will not do this with my two beloved excaliburs. :shock:
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
bob-s

re shim---

Post by bob-s »

Thanks for the heads up Bill --- I kinda thought I was on my own on this. I just did not like the hard contact my string serving had against the rail.

Otherwise I certainly love the bow. It's amazingly accurate, and powerful.

Bob. :)
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Reducing the string pressure will not increase velocity more than a couple of FPS, but I guarantee that it'll make the bow noisier. I appreciate the need to experiment with this stuff, remember that is why Excalibur is in businss, because I had to fool around with what was considered to be finished products in the early 80s. Just be aware that almost everything you do to the bow will affect something you don't expect in a negative way. Welcome to my personal nightmare! Have fun hunting and shooting your bow!............Bill