To much crossbow for me ?....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Brainiac

To much crossbow for me ?....

Post by Brainiac »

I shot my Phoenix about 10-15 times today. But, I jump when I fire it..Is there around this or will it grow on me ?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Wear ear plugs. The recoil is negligible. It's the noise that is startling you. Block out the sound till you become accustomed to firing your bow.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

If your brace height is too it will make a whole whack of noise. If you are using the highest brace height mark and a FFF string and the noise bothers you try an STS or use a Dacron endless loop string and or an STS.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

just relax and breathe out when firing. It will grow on you;)

biggest thing is just knowing that if you have your fingers under the rail, its really nothing that can hurt you. It seems like alot of power when its new, but you get use to it fast :D

its just like shooting a gun, squeeze so the shot is a surprise
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

A question like that from a brainiac? :lol:

Wow . . .tough question. I believe you can train your way past that. When you shoot, focus on a small item on your target. Put a 1 inch dot on the target. Try to hit that small dot. As you lightly pull the trigger, think about your arrow flying toward that dot. When the trigger releases that arrow, try to follow it with your eye through the scope. Just before you lightly pull(some folks say "squeeze the trigger") the trigger, make sure you are relaxed. The bow should be snug against your shoulder, your grip on the stock should be firm(squeeze that stock a little with your hand), your stance solid . . . let the rest of yourself relax. If you relax your shoulders and your trigger arm . . .you shouldn't jump. I've seen guys trying so hard to keep the bow from moving, that they can't hold still.

You need to develop a system that keeps you from jumping. Once you get comfortable, then you will not jump as long as you stick to your routine.

Do you jump when you fire a gun?

You have a great opportunity here. Figure it out, keep notes, and you can help someone else in the future.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

The string is sitting just right before the first line..I've only shot an air gun,sling shot and a longbow...
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

First thing you need to do is figure out what is making you jump. Is it the noise? Is it the recoil? Is it because you are holding the bow too tight?

If you shoot the air gun without jumping, then it could very well be the noise. Try the ear plugs. I don't think it's the brace height, it's OK where it is.

You have a lot of good suggestions here.

Keep shooting, keep telling yourself to relax and breathe. Focus on the dot, keep looking at the dot as you shoot. RELAX & BREATHE

How is the jumping affecting your accuracy? How many inches are you missing by?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you shoot a spring operated air gun, the recoil is very similar to a crossbow. I'd put the string on the line farthest from the riser & limbs. All my Excaliburs shoot with the least noise & recoil at that line. Also check your arrow weight. With my Phoenix an arrow closer to 400 grains shoots much more smoothly than one of the 350 grain minimum weight.
The ear plugs might not be a bad idea for you if you are new to crossbows. At first the noise can be very distracting. Don't worry, after a few thousand shots you will become oblivious to it. :lol:
wabi
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

I'm going have to say, its the noise.. The recoil was light to none ...
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

As Boo said you can try a dacron string at the second line .As well try the string silencers or the STS dampening system .As mentioned before you will get to the point where you don`t notice the sound because you are concentrating on where you want to place the arrow . :)
saxman

Post by saxman »

Glad you realize you have some awesome power in your hands.
Now,use it to your advantage.Spend time with your bow,learn every aspect of it,every bolt.Make sure you remember in your pratice to put an arrow in it or you can join the dry fire club,the list is long but distingushed.I did it yesterday,I am sure the Boo string and the V-Bar absorber saved my bow on more than one occasion.
If you keep your finger out of the way of the string you will be fine.(youll only do that once anyway)
I wore my shooting muffs till I got used to the sound and feel and am fine now.
I am a flincher and shooting the crossbow for pratice at 10 yards concentrating strictly on trigger pull and follow through is great. and I would do this untill the flinching is gone and then sight in
After that have fun.I shoot the Equinox, I shot about 50 times yesterday and I get more comfortable everytime,I almost had a robbin hood,I will try to post pic's.
Your right it is allot of crossbow,thats why I like it.
If I do my job there will be game on the ground.[/i]
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

saxman wrote:sure you remember in your pratice to put an arrow in it or you can join the dry fire club,the list is long but distingushed.I did it yesterday,I am sure the Boo string and the V-Bar absorber saved my bow on more than one occasion.
If you keep your finger out of the way of the string you will be fine.(youll only do that once anyway)
.[/i]
LOL! Did you do it again? Why did you slap my face! Hehehehe
Scott, dry-fire club? LOL! I am a founding member!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It's called flinching, likely caused by a bad experience with a firearm.
Only way around it is to shoot. I developed one when slapped by a crossbow string...twice. Have to consciously talk myself through good shooting process to prevent it's occurrence: proper sight picture, inhale, let out some breath and squeeeeeze the trigger. Oh, and look to see that the hand isn't on the deck again!!!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Brainiac wrote:The string is sitting just right before the first line..I've only shot an air gun,sling shot and a longbow...
Brainiac,

Which line do you consider the first line, closet to scope or the head assembly. If it is the head assembly, the string may be slaping against the limbs/riser. It should sit just forward of the line at the scope end.

Rich
saxman

Post by saxman »

Boo wrote:
saxman wrote:sure you remember in your pratice to put an arrow in it or you can join the dry fire club,the list is long but distingushed.I did it yesterday,I am sure the Boo string and the V-Bar absorber saved my bow on more than one occasion.
.[/i]
LOL! Did you do it again? Why did you slap my face! Hehehehe
Scott, dry-fire club? LOL! I am a founding member!
YEP,I did it again.
My wife says"How can you forget to put an arrow on it"
Well,if it can be done I can do it.
I am just so glad that I soot the best quality crossbow made and it can take the heat.I also believe that your string's and that V-Bar absorber with the 4 contact points helps allot.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011