Vortex owners

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Randy G

Vortex owners

Post by Randy G »

I'm thinking of upgrading my Horton Legend to an Excal Vortex. Can anyone cock their Vortex without the rope cocker? I can cock the Phoenix and my Legend without it but really need the thumbhole stock of the Vortex for better control because of my weak left arm. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy G.
Digger

Re: Vortex owners

Post by Digger »

Randy G wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading my Horton Legend to an Excal Vortex. Can anyone cock their Vortex without the rope cocker? I can cock the Phoenix and my Legend without it but really need the thumbhole stock of the Vortex for better control because of my weak left arm. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy G.
I would suggest the cocking rope as it not only cuts the draw weight in half, but makes the draw equal on both sides of the string for better accuracy. It's much easier on the arms when target shooting many shots in a row with a 200 lb. xbow
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I can easily cock my Exomax without an aid, but I don't often cock my 'Max without an aid ... for both of the reasons Digger noted, and for another: cocking crossbows without aids is very hard on unprotected fingers. You may not be bothered when doing it, and you may not feel anything for a while ... but it can cause some very significant nerve damage in a relatively short time. This is true of drawing ordinary "vert" bows (without a glove or tab), and it's all the more so with crossbows, due to their heavy draw weights.

Use an aid. It doesn't take any time at all, and is a benefit in every way.

On the other hand, it is nice to use a bow you can cock by hand, if you need to.
Grizz
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Tried it on my Vortex. I could do it IF I had gloves on but it's a struggle.
Not sure my back would take much of that either.
Rope cocker not only makes it about 50% easier but makes for consistent string centering. You don't have to mark the string or even look to see if it's centered. Since accuracy is potentially at issue, I wouldn't think of cocking ANY crossbow by hands.
If you do go that, way be sure to get the Excal rope cocker..it's definitely the best. Bigger , deeper angled hooks, heavier rope..even comes with enough to get a replacement rope out of it. Excal = FIRST CLASS operation. It's obvious their products are made by people who use them.
dutchhunter

200 PUOND BOWS

Post by dutchhunter »

I HAVE NO PROBLEM COOKING MY VORTEX WITH MY HANDS BUT I DO NOT RECOMEND IT FOR OBVIAS REASONS SAFTY FIRST BUT IT IS NICE TO NOW AND U SHOULD PRACTICE WITH OUT JUST IN CASS SOMETHING HAPPENS I CAN STILL HUNT IF I FORGET OMETHINK AT HOME PRACTIS WITH OUT PAYS OFF 8)
fantarain

Post by fantarain »

I thought I can handle it using my bare hands at first. So I didn't order the cocking aid with my crossbow order. But the first day in the archery range made my back and hands hurt for a week. Just a couple of shoots, and I was done :( So the next thing to do when I came home that day was to buy a cocking aid...... If you are not as strong as other guys here who can cock it easily, you should buy it. Don't let the bow cocking job ruin your shooting.
Cossack wrote:Tried it on my Vortex. I could do it IF I had gloves on but it's a struggle.
Not sure my back would take much of that either.
Rope cocker not only makes it about 50% easier but makes for consistent string centering. You don't have to mark the string or even look to see if it's centered. Since accuracy is potentially at issue, I wouldn't think of cocking ANY crossbow by hands.
If you do go that, way be sure to get the Excal rope cocker..it's definitely the best. Bigger , deeper angled hooks, heavier rope..even comes with enough to get a replacement rope out of it. Excal = FIRST CLASS operation. It's obvious their products are made by people who use them.
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

Most of guys already pretty much said it all - I would not recommend trying to pull back my Vortex without at least having gloves on. Without the rope cocking devise you will probably not get your string centered either. Yes, it would be nice to use your hands in case you ever forgot the cocker, but I treat my cocker like it was my release so whereever my CB goes it goes. i am not a spring chicken any more - like the wife says. :lol:
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

cudoos with all the above. I am a bricklayer by trade and stronger then most. I don't own a xbow yet (still looking) have borrwed friends and brother-in-laws (all Excal) and I WOULD NOT cock the bow without help unless in an emergency. I can do it no prob., but my hands and my arms are my life. The weakness in your left arm won't get any better doing it "dry".
i know we are expressing our views but we are all a caring community here and I would hate to see anyone injured when a small simple tool as the cocking aid is available. Sometimes you can't put a cost to health.
Mark
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I can cock my equinox with gloves, but did it to prove to myself that if I lost my cocking rope I can still hunt. I since carry a spare in my hunting bag, but in the very least I know I'm not totally out to dry.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

This is the main reason why I decided o go with the exocet 200. Slight sacrifice in speed but easily cocked by hand. I have twice reloaded by hand to shoot deer after the first shot was taken. I was lucky enough to have a good relationship with the sales guy where I was going to buy the bow and he let me hand cock each one. hope this helps.

F
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

BTW I also use the string cocker to UNCOCK my Vortex. Sure saves time finding 'unload arrow' in the dark.
Camper

Post by Camper »

I can cock my vortex with my hands but I wouldn't do it for more then a couple of times. Hard on the back!
Cocking aid works great and takes very little time after you practice a few times!
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
peter p

Post by peter p »

Even if you can, cock it by hand I think you should use a cocking aid for better accuracy plus it would be better for your weak left arm.