Exomax Accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris50362

Exomax Accuracy

Post by chris50362 »

First post.
So I bought this Exomax recently, I have never owned a crossbow before. I headed out to the back yard and measured off 20 yards and took a shot.
I fired maybe less then ten shots before I had it sighted in perfectly. This was back in mid March.

I brought out the bow yesterday and at the same distance all my shots have been about 6 inches low. What the heck is going on? I didn't touch anything since March. Is it the temperature difference, or maybe the string stretching shot after shot?
mikew

Welcome!

Post by mikew »

Chris,
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, my guess is that something got bumped in storage or there are screws loose (on the bow, not the operator).

I hope that helps,
-Mike
PS Duh....stretching string would have made the arrow go faster. Note to self: Don't post when you are falling asleep at the keyboard.
Last edited by mikew on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hmm.. I would think the string stretching/creeping would decrease the brace height causing the arrow to go faster and increase the point of impact.
Is there a chance the bow/scope got bumped during storage?
6 inches at 20 yards is a pretty big variance.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

First welcome.
You might check all screws first to see if anything might be coming loose. The scope mount is the first I would check.
Are you using a solid rest or bench of some sort, thats helps keep things consistant regarding accuracy.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

Ah, OK. I notice that the string is not twisted at all. And 'brace height" I would assume is the two lines on the deck toward the front?

How many turns would be considered optimal?
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

enormous wrote:First welcome.
You might check all screws first to see if anything might be coming loose. The scope mount is the first I would check.
Are you using a solid rest or bench of some sort, thats helps keep things consistant regarding accuracy.
That was the first thing I checked, was the screws and bolts. I did use a bean bag rifle rest but the shots were consistently low.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There is no "normal" for the amount of twists, there should be some to prevent the string from "parachuting", but the amount of twists varies from bow to bow, string to string.
What you want to do is make sure that once you find a "sweet spot" where your string is giving decent speed without shaking up the bow, stick with it. Most of us keep the string between the lines, slightly under the one closest to your body. I keep mine at 1 and 1/8" from the riser, like so.
I find this to be a very comfortable compromise between speed and vibration.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

I'm pretty careful with my bow, I'm sure I didn't bump it however I will give the string a twist and try again. Kind of windy right now (Newmarket area) maybe tonight.

Thanks
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I can't see where you have explicitly stated that you used the exact same bolts and the exact same broadheads or target points. Maybe I just missed where you said it.

That should be a given, but we had best clear that question before going too far with analysis.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Twist the string several turns, same direction as the serving is wound.
Same thing happened to me. And, by the way, air density can affect the point of impact as well (though usually not by 6").
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

Holy Crap! That's it! Super accurate now. I twisted the string maybe 6 or 7 times, loaded up and, BINGO.

When I first got the bow I found the groups were not tight at all @20 yards. I figured this was normal. Now I can shoot bolt into bolt, almost @20 yards. I didn't realize that something this insignificant (to me) could affect accuracy.

I was using the bolts and field points that came with the bow.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good to hear! Don't shoot the same target twice, or else...
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family