HAS ANYONE STARTED BAITING

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maximus

HAS ANYONE STARTED BAITING

Post by maximus »

HI ALL,has anyone started putting feed down?
catcher

Post by catcher »

Are you talking Bear or Deer. Bear we started last week. I just bought one hundred pounds of mollassess today. Been putting out bread soaked in the stuff and meat scraps and frier grease. Deer have had salt and some food out since May. Mainly to get pics of them on the trail cam to see what is in the area.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Was referring to deer. I just put out a couple of hundred pounds of whole corn today. cant wait to see what trail cam pic look like
maximus

Post by maximus »

Was referring to deer. I just put out a couple of hundred pounds of whole corn today. cant wait to see what trail cam pic look like
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:) Welcome to the best forum. Baiting for deer is not allowed here in Tennessee. All feeders and corn must be cleaned up 10 days before the season opener and you cannot hunt within 50 yards of a lick.
Good hunting to you :)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

curmudgeon wrote::) Welcome to the best forum. Baiting for deer is not allowed here in Tennessee. All feeders and corn must be cleaned up 10 days before the season opener and you cannot hunt within 50 yards of a lick.
Good hunting to you :)
same in VA... no baiting.. slat licks and etc must be removed by Sept 1st which is a month before season opens :D

welcome to the forum also
mikej

Post by mikej »

i started with corn and apples 2 weeks ago. they clean up 100 pounds of each in 3 days between 2 stands. salt has been out for 2 1/2 months been getting hit good.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

We can bait deer all season long here in NC, but I never have! :lol:

No need to! It doesn't give you any measurable advantage here anyway ... food is so plentiful that the coons and birds eat more of it than deer ever do.

By the way ... Welcome, Maximus! :D 8) :lol:
Grizz
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

WE use to put corn out but after sitting and watching coon, bluejays, caanada jays and squirells take the corn all day long we no longer put it out. Apples only but won't start till late Sept. May try some carrots this year we also have minerals at our stands.
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I found the last few years I really only have to start baiting a few days before the season. The deer com there naturally because of the number of wild apple trees. I put out apples just to get them in bow range. There is no way way to setup close to one of these apple trees unless out of a ground blind.