XACT Mechanical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phoenix92

XACT Mechanical Broadheads

Post by Phoenix92 »

Hello Xbowers...Saw the new mechanicals at this years Sporsmens Show then went to BP (basspro) and purchased a set...As this will only be my second season of hunting I havent really had any experience with a mechanical broadhead.... All preferences aside how different do they travel from field points....(accuracy, flight pattern, weight etc...)

FYI: shooting Phoenix, with firebolts

any info is god info Thanx
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

From my experience with mechanicals, they fly exactly like field points because during flight they are basically field points. I have never had to "sight in" or "tune" a mechanical like I do fixed blades.

The only time they will travel different from field points is if they open prematurely. If they open before impact, then they will fly off course. If this happens, then I just put a rubber band(the type used with dental braces) on them prior to shooting and all is well. I have never had one open prematurely when using rubberbands.

Let me know how these work . . .I've never tried them. However, I've heard good things.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

I may have to try some of the Mechanicals on the crossbow.
I'll get with you Scott and you can guide me in the right direction
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Saxman . . .I just ordered some Rocket Steelhead Extremes. They are 125 gr. with a 1.75" cut. I love the Rocket Hammerheads as far as pure knockdown ability. It's funny to be talking knockdown ability when discussing archery. Not sure if it's the shock factor or what . . .but, two deer and both fell extremely fast. However, I didn't get a pass through, so, I'm going a little heavier with a little smaller cut. I started to go with the Rocket Stricknines which are 125 gr and a 2" cut. All of these have three blades and use rubberbands. If I get some easy pass throughs with the Extremes, then I may switch to the Stricknines later.

My objective is to have a complete pass through and use as much power as possible in the cut.

The bigger the cut, the more likely you will cut something important and have a lot easier tracking job. So, if I'm using a weapon that will put a very large bladed broadhead through a deer, then in the name of being humane, I should use the wider cut broadhead.

The only two arguements against the mechanicals . . .blades not as strong as a fixed blade and premature opening. The first arguement is a valid one. However, the blades are strong enough to make a clean kill and in some cases just as strong or stronger than some of the fixed blade broadheads on the market. The second one, in my opinion, is a weak arguement. If properly used, the mechanicals will open upon impact, every time.

The pros . . .bigger cut, more accurate, no tuning, etc.

I just have a big issue with these small cut broadheads, both fixed blade and mechanical. They simply do not cause enough bleeding to down a deer in a short distance. Too many deer are lost every year and I'll bet the small cuts are responsible. I know I had a couple of good hits that should have been recovered. Even Bill T's monster buck went 300 yards(didn't he say 300?), looked like a Wasp Boss on his arrow. I just wonder how far it would have went if he had used a 1.5" or 2" cut, three blade mechanical. 300 yards is too far in some of the areas I hunt.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im a believer in mechanicals after last year.. massive openings and flight is dead on with field tips.. I shoot the rage 3 blade(100gr), but I may step up to the 125's with the new firebolt bheads this season. Either one will do massive damage, but like said above, its not much tunning involved. Just to simple 2second checks on the heads before loading the bolt to make sure everything is tight. I use to do that for fixed blade heads also since I want that one shot to count.

if you want to try fixed blades, give the slick tricks a try.. those are the best shooting fixed head ive shot
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to my shot last year.
For those who missed my post - I shot a button buck with one of the Wasp JakHammer mechanicals I've been using for years now. When I stepped up from a Vixen to an Exocet 175# (and later to a Phoenix) I had to double band the blades to prevent opening on release, but I had never had anything but perfect results with the JakHammers. Huge exit holes, and very short recovery distances. Never had a deer go much over 50 yards, and some dropped within 20!
Last fall I shot an antlerless deer at my feeder at about 18 yards. I aimed for the heart with a very slight quartering away angle, and put the arrow exactly where I wanted it to go. The deer turned out to be a button buck, and he went around 40 yards. It was getting late in the evening, and when I field dressed him I saw the arrow had indeed gone through the heart, it didn't look like the cut was as big as usual, but I was in a hurry to get him field dressed, hauled out to be tagged, and then get him to the processor's cooler because the weather was still warm. I didn't give the small sized cut much thought at the time.
The next evening I went back and found the arrow - with the blades still firmly held closed by the bands!!!!!!!!!!! Anything but a perfect heart shot and that deer would probably have been lost!
I have no idea why the blades didn't open - it never happened before! The broadhead was new, and had been tested on a foam target (with a set of old blades out of the collection I kept for paractice) and had brand new blades and bands in place for hunting. The blades were not bent or "jammed" closed, and the bands appeared to be fine. The blades opened with about the same force it takes on any JakHammer to force them open with the band(s) in place when I checked the head after I recovered it. Being a young deer I could understand the possibility of the head perhaps making it through the skin without opening, but the heart muscle should have opened it even if it didn't hit any bone (which I didn't check :oops:) on entry.
I have yet to think of a good reason for the failure, but I am back to fixed blades for now.
I love the flight of mechanicals (little or no tuning needed), and I love the huge holes they cut through a deer when they work, but that one failure has me a little reluctant to try them again.
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have been wanting to try them too. if you could post what you find with them and how they work for you would be great.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi . . .you sent that broadhead to me, still intact. The only thing I could see was the double bands and they were o-rings. The o-rings are a little tougher than rubberbands. I have never seen a manufacturer suggest two o-rings. I've seen them suggest two rubberbands.

Anyway, I think they should have opened even with two o-rings, but, you just had really bad luck. That had to of been the most perfect shot in the world. Any bone hit and it's open.

I think you switched to fixed blades too soon. You have perfect record with the Jackhammers . . .what is it 7 for 7? Even when it failed, it was good.

Scott

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

wabi, if you notice its quite a few out now that dont use bands. Those are only ones I use. I just dont trust a little band. Rage has one, but it in no way will effect the blade opening, its more of a shock absorber :lol: :D

Im just amazed how well the practice head flys! 8)