equinox guys(deck wax)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

equinox guys(deck wax)

Post by crazyfarmer »

what are ya'll putting on the deck to save string life? I know mines giving a hurting out to the excal strings LOL. The boo string is holding well, but im worried its gonna rip the serving on that on shortly.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Crazy
I dont put anything on the deck but I do wax my strings while they are off the bow,the whole string,loops and all and then I keep waxing the serving about every 10 - 20 shots
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

I use either Daltons or the Excal wax on the serving. None on the deck. Turn the string so that the claws hold another part of the serving.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have heard of using jig-a-loo on the deck for extra fps. is this true ? does anybody have any experiances with this
Boo

Post by Boo »

Jigaloo will not condition and lubricate the string fibers under the serving where the string takes the most punishment. If you put it on the deck you may find a speed benefit but I don't see spending a few bucks for what few ft/second you may gain. It is difficult to believe that you will gain many ft/sec but I would be interested to see what others find. I have an archery chrony and Jigaloo at the cottage. I'll try to remember to check it out.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I use Excal Wax on the String and serving just like Saxman
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I like horton rail lube.
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks for the info don i always use deck wax on the serving but i haven't used anything on the rail. i read about this and was interested to try it. but as i don't have a crony it would be hard to tell if i gained anything. if you try it through the crony could you post or pm me your results.
Fred

Post by Fred »

That Jig a loo is some slick stuff I had some windows that you had to get on with both hands to open one application of that stuff and they will open with two fingers and a slight pull up I don't see how using could hurt I was concerned about the carrier liquid damageing the string fibers but everyone using it hasn't had a problem and it doesn't leave any sticky residue for dirt to adhere to All the best Fred
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thanks for the info... I didnt think you were supposed to wax the deck since it would become a mess after dust sticks to it. I usually clean mine with silicone spray. I havent been waxing the serving so thats probably my problem.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Jig-A-Loo is not only slick (it goes on wet but dries in minutes to a film) but keeps dirt from sticking to the rail. It's also great to lubricate arrows so they don't stock in foam targets. WalMart, in the auto care section, Home Depot, etc has it.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Crazy . . .I recently tested waxing the serving and lubing the deck with silicone to see the results in serving wear. Here are the results. The number of shots is the number I made before the serving actually broke . . .not serparated or wore down.

No waxing/lubricating . . .215 shots
Waxing/lubricating every 30 shots . . .averaged 290 shots
Waxing/lubricating every 20 shots got 338 shots
Waxing/lubricating every 10 shots got 262 shots

This was only one test . . .not a great indicatior. There are other factors. If the string is broke in, then you have less adjustments to the brace height and thus the serving remains in one position. Which means the trigger claws are hitting the same spot every shot. You can, gently roll the serving with your fingers as you attach the cocking aide to the string . . .intentional or unintentional . . .this can have positive or negative effect. I pinch the string to keep it from rolling as I hook the cocking rope to the string. However, I have mixed feelings on this. If I roll, then I can make sure the trigger claws are hitting a different spot, every shot. However, if I roll, then the string unrolls as it's released from the trigger claws and I would guess there is more wear. I don't think there is an effect on accuracy on a half roll or so of the string. At least I haven't seen it. The other factor is turning the string . . .I turn the string every 100 shots. So, broke in or not, I change the position of the serving. Turning=taking the string off one end at a time and twisting the string, but, leaving the brace height the same. If your string is broke in, then I suggest turning it every 50 shots. Another factor, the number of shots and frequency of your shooting . . .sometimes I'll do some "speed shooting". I'll see how accurate I can be and shoot as fast as possible. Plus, I'll shoot 20 shots at a time. This really gets the string heated up. I don't think it's a positive thing, so I wax more often when doing this.

One thing for sure . . .you get a lot more shots per serving if you wax the serving. I'm going with every 25-30 shots.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

Boo wrote:I use either Daltons or the Excal wax on the serving. None on the deck. Turn the string so that the claws hold another part of the serving.
Thanks for that tip Don
I didn't think about turning the string
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner, thanks for the info.. I plan on waxing the serving every 20-25shots now. It doesnt take much for the equinox to heat the string up either!

I know one thing, it drives the bolts to china inside the block target! This goat tuff glue really holds up when the vanes are buried every shot LOL
saxman

Post by saxman »

crazyfarmer wrote:sumner, thanks for the info.. I plan on waxing the serving every 20-25shots now. It doesnt take much for the equinox to heat the string up either!

I know one thing, it drives the bolts to china inside the block target! This goat tuff glue really holds up when the vanes are buried every shot LOL

I hear you about the arrows burying in the target.
Even at 40 yards there was more sticking out the back side than the front.

I dont shoot my Greywolf customs to pratice because I dont want to tear them up,I only hunt with those or shoot field points into the bag.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011