AHHHHHHHHHH HELP!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Livtahunt

AHHHHHHHHHH HELP!!!!!

Post by Livtahunt »

Ok so last week I got back my new limbs from Horizontal Archery because my old limbs were beginning to splinter in one spot. 5 minutes ago I put my new limbs on and I cocked back my Exomax to put the disapator pads and string on. When the string on the crossbow stringer locked into place I fliped on the safety. I was about to put on the disapator pads and ff string when one of the plastic blue pieces on the crossbow stringer EXPLODED. So basically the bow dry fried with no disapator pads on. Now what do I do? I looked over the limbs and I dont see any damage. Do I order another stringer and if so will it beable to handle the new limbs? Are the limbs ok or will I need to send them back to be checked? This as happened to me before but I was using the rope cocker excalibur sells with their bows when one of the little plastic hooks exploded so now I use a cocker with metal hooks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Justin
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Im not having any problems with my Exomax and I use a excal stringer and rope cocker. The only reason I could think of would the stringer was older and brittle. Otherwise I have no idea.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

equinox here and no issues stringing.. actaully just used mine 4-5 times today to readjust my string.

so you had the stringer on and cocked back.. with the stringer there shouldnt be as much pressure on the limbs(not like its fully cocked with the string). I wouldnt think it would do any damage. You will find out probably in a few shots if something is cracked. My advice is to string her back up and get close to the target and fire a shot to see what happens. I dry fired mine once by accident and no damage was done. Happened again 2months later and I split a limb.
saxman

Re: AHHHHHHHHHH HELP!!!!!

Post by saxman »

Livtahunt wrote:Ok so last week I got back my new limbs from Horizontal Archery because my old limbs were beginning to splinter in one spot. 5 minutes ago I put my new limbs on and I cocked back my Exomax to put the disapator pads and string on. When the string on the crossbow stringer locked into place I fliped on the safety. I was about to put on the disapator pads and ff string when one of the plastic blue pieces on the crossbow stringer EXPLODED. So basically the bow dry fried with no disapator pads on. Now what do I do? I looked over the limbs and I dont see any damage. Do I order another stringer and if so will it beable to handle the new limbs? Are the limbs ok or will I need to send them back to be checked? This as happened to me before but I was using the rope cocker excalibur sells with their bows when one of the little plastic hooks exploded so now I use a cocker with metal hooks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Justin
I have heard of the stringers exploding.
That must suck after all youve gone through.
I would string it anyway and inspect the new limbs real good.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to contact excal and see what they say
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

Try to get an old stringing aid that has white blocks rather than the blue ones. You can also make your own with paracord only or paracord and UHMW polyethylene.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MADMAX2

STRINGER?

Post by MADMAX2 »

I had the same thing happen on my exocet!I thought something I did, mine exploded but it was not fully cocked when it happened no damage to my limbs scary though.Boo are the blue ones weaker than the white because the new one I have has the blue ends?
The best things in life are not things!!
bj

Post by bj »

if the bow was dry fired from a stringing position, i'm sure the limbs are okay (even on the big gun you have)...i don't use the blue stringers as i've seen these explode as you mention on numerous occassions...we make our own here and have tested them (i won't tell you how we tested them as you probably won't believe it...)

if you didn't have the pads on as you say, and fired with the bars on, have a look on the face of the limb and check for marks from the bars on the limbs or vusually inspect the bars to see if they are bent...i'm sure you won't find any marks and the bars should be okay... i'm guessing you'd be good to go... :D

see ya

Wayne.......
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can buy UHMW polyethylene from Lee Valley in Canada. This material is really tough and is used for production jigs or fixtures. The white one I saw was white and square. It isn't very expensive.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page. ... 3576,43581
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

The same thing happened to me. I called Peter and he sent me the new (black ones) at no charge. There was a problem with the blue ones a while back. As far as the limbs, just run a cotton ball over the surface to check for splinters :wink: . Hope this helps.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Very good info all the way around, thanks Wayne. I have the white ones but, I'll keep them in the dark, I'm usually in the dark about stuff anyway. :P
Boo

Post by Boo »

Luck of the draw, I have four blue ones and use them constantly. No problems as of yet. I think I will be making a few from that Polyethylene stuff. Madmax, the white one that I saw is owned by Pydpiper and appears to be Polyethylene. It was square rather than triangular and if it is Polyethylene then it may be the toughest. I have a sheet of that stuff. If you are near by let me know and I'll give you enough to make a set.
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Thanks everyone for all your help. I called Dan at Horizontal Archery and hes sending me the new black stringer and says the limbs should be ok. The customer service thats comes along with buying an excalibur is unbeatable.
Thanks Again
Justin
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

I'm not trying to waylay your threat Livtahunt, but Boo- do you just cut squares out of the plastic you mentioand drill with round/oval holes in the center?
If you've made one I'd greatly appreciate a photo.

Thanks,

crunch
Boo

Post by Boo »

Crunch wrote:I'm not trying to waylay your threat Livtahunt, but Boo- do you just cut squares out of the plastic you mentioand drill with round/oval holes in the center?
If you've made one I'd greatly appreciate a photo.

Thanks,

crunch
I haven't made one yet but I am guessing it will be a round hole like the Factories but yes you've got it.
MADMAX2

stringer

Post by MADMAX2 »

Thanks for the info and offer Boo I think I will go over to triggers and bows and get the black ones I live close to them.
The best things in life are not things!!