O/T WARNING of theft

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

O/T WARNING of theft

Post by raydaughety »

I guess that what mom used to say is true; "everything that glitters, isn't gold. I bought an 08 GMC Sierra 2 months ago and love the truck but my truck and many more like it are easily broken into as I found out last night at Wal-mart. Tyler and I went to Wal-mart last night and I specifically remember pushing the button on the remote start to lock the doors as the lights flashed and the horn blew. When we returned, the driver's door was open and my binoculars and rangefinder that were on the center hump in the floorboard were gone :evil: . I know that I locked the door but after thinking about it, I remember reading an article about a new tool that car thieves are using to gain access to vehicles with remote door locks. Apparently, the thief can copy the fm signal sent by your remote and then duplicate it and open your door while your shopping. I thought that this was highly unlikely but the investigator said that they were becoming very popular amoung thieves. So, it back to the good old fashion "push the door lock down before closing the door". BTW, Grizz, I don't think that they can "decode" your old Ford :lol:

If anyone knows where there is a good sale on range finders, and/or binoculars, please send me a link.
Last edited by raydaughety on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
mikej

Post by mikej »

thats too bad ray. guys like that should be shot
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

The more I think about it the madder I get. I mean, dang guys times are tough and I really don't want to spend the cash to replace them but I have to. I'm terrible at ranging yardage and of course binos are a necessity. Again, if anyone finds a good deal on either a range finder of some binos, please let me know.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Ray,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but if the following article is true then it may not matter if you manually lock your doors or not if your vehicle is still equipped with a working keyless entry system they can get in without you ever touching your key fob.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoe ... _fobs.html

This is for those of you who were thinking of getting a vehicle that you do not need to actually put in the key.

http://news.cnet.com/Gone-in-60-seconds ... 69287.html

If you were thinking of going with the convenience of the wireless key fobs for paying at the pump you may want to think twice about them as well.

http://idtheftsecrets.blogspot.com/2006 ... -with.html

Remote locks seem to only give us the illusion of security as we are trading convenience for actual security.

-M
dw

Post by dw »

not to bust your chops but why would you leave the stuff out in the open. that's just asking for trouble. i always try to conceal anything valuable when going into a store. on a more positave thought every walmart i have been in has survalence cameras that cover the whole parking lot. may they can see the person or possably the car they got into with a tag number.
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not much use for a thief.
Got a phone call from the public defender's office in FL a couple weeks ago asking if I wanted to post bond for my step-daughter. Seems she was caught trying to pawn stolen merchandise. (not her first theft, she stole around $800. - $1,000. cash from us while she lived here) The lawyer said she got the judge to set a reduced bond, but he wouldn't go for letting her out on her own recognizance. The lawyer asked if I would like to put up a $500. bond so she could get out of jail and I simply told her - NO! (while thinking maybe a little jail time will help her realize stealing is a crime!)
Hope they catch the thief (thieves) that got you, and I hope they can't post bond either!
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Dw, I guess your right and it was just stupidity on my part.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Maybe this will help . . .if you purchased them with your credit card, then you may have theft protection for a few months. I was able to get a tennis racquet replaced once that was stolen out of my daughter's bag at a tournament. We need to keep an eye on our things now more than ever. As gas prices(and everything else) go up and folks are squeezed, then theft will rise. It's just a matter of fact. Slower economies, higher theft rates.

Why was it in your truck anyway? It's not hunting season! Yet.

I guess you can look at it this way . . .some poor unfortunate someone that can't afford Bass Pro prices is going to get a great deal. You will be promoting the sport of hunting to those less fortunate. Sort of . . .
And you get to go out and buy the top of the line! Yeah! Always a silver lining.

Take care,

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:.........We need to keep an eye on our things now more than ever. As gas prices(and everything else) go up and folks are squeezed, then theft will rise..........

Scott
Suprising that gas theft isn't more common already with the high prices.
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

The items were covered by a towel that was in the truck. Also, the windows are tinted to the NC maximum limit and seeing inside the truck is difficult. I really don't believe that the thief looked inside before he got in.

Tyler and I were on the way back from the hunting club and that's why they were still in the truck. Oh well, like you said, I get to go shopping.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
saxman

Post by saxman »

Sorry that happened to you Ray
I know the feeling.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
MADMAX2

THEFT

Post by MADMAX2 »

I have had my locks punched through on my Sierra and also my back window broke now I keep everything of value locked in the tool box behind my cab :twisted :evil: outa sight outa mind!!
The best things in life are not things!!
Sopchoppy

Key fob theft

Post by Sopchoppy »

Here's one more twist on the key fob. Mobil Oil started the little stick looking thing to scan at their gas pumps. These were very popular in South Florida as there were Mobil stations on every corner. I worked for Sears at the time and we had a automotive technician who had another way to steal. He had obtaine ( stolen) the fobs from Mobil stations and never had them activated. He then just waited for a customer to come in with Mobil fob on their key chain. You guessed it; he just swapped with them and the customer was none the wiser until they tried to buy gas. After a couple of customers said we were the only place their keys had been, we caught the guy. If anyone you know uses them, advise them to remove before letting anyone have the keys.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Ray. Sum are everywhere.

I've been thinking about making a lock box for inside my van. This may push me to do it that much sooner.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My new Sierra came with a hidden (kinda) lockable console so I guess I'm going to have to put it to use.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray