Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

widowman

Post by widowman »

sumner4991 wrote:
.........There are two issues with them. With the two deer I've shot, neither had a complete pass through(very close, the skin was pierced at the exit) and blades broke. Everything else, I love about the Hammerheads. Adding a little weight will cure the pass through issue. However, I don't think the Hammerhead blades can hold up to the impact/KE of the Exomax. I have some Stricknines on order which are Trophy Ridge's signature broadhead. Looks just like the Hammerhead, but, 25gr heavier. I'll let you know how the blades hold up on them.
If you can't get a passthru with an exomax, there is a problem.

and the blades break?

hell I get complete pass thrus with my recurve, which only produces around 32 ft/lbs of kinetic energy.

I think the exomax get nearly 3 times that amount of energy, so if they don't pass thru, either the shot was poor or the heads suck.
dutchhunter

punch cutter

Post by dutchhunter »

for many years well still using horton hunter crossbows we tested many heads the verybest we found were the punchcutter macanicel head they flew like field points and hd to open on impact no way around it .any body else ever use them .when we heard thy were no longer made my buddys bought up ass many ass thy could find .I really wish i could get some more .or if somebody else would start to make them or somthing simalur .I my opinion thy were the greatest head ever.If any form member has ay of these laying around PM me .This is just my two cents
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

widowman . . .I appreciate your input, however, if you can, try and keep this a civil, intelligent debate.

There could have been several reasons for the non-pass. Same goes for the broken blades.

The non-pass could have been due to hitting just enough bone, angle of the hit and so on. I think the majority of the problem with the broken blades were due to the non-pass(I already admitted one was a poor shot). Since the arrow did not pass through the buck I shot, the buck fell, got up, fell, got up and ran/walked 20 yards with it in him. The doe fell to the ground and rolled on the arrow. Both arrows broke . . .from your reasoning, then the shafts suck too.

As most of us all know, the wider the blade, the harder it will be to push it through a deer. Your optimal broadhead will be as wide as it can be and still get through the deer, bear, moose, elephant or whatever you hunt.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Scott,
Sent you a PM, you might convince me to try mechanicals again. :wink: :lol:

As for non pass-throughs I've only had one with any of my Excaliburs. A 1 1/4" cut mechanical I launched at a buck I thought my buddy had hit and not put down. I was in a very poor shooting position, and the buck was at a poor angle, but I thought I'd try to put another arrow in him. I hit the shoulder bone and the arrow failed to penetrate much at all. Found out later my buddy has missed completely, and I really felt bad. :oops:
Luckily I had a friend that spotted the buck a few days later and he appeared to be recovering fine. Walking a bit "stiffly", but walking and making his rounds.
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I've only ever shot fixed blade broadheads, Wasp Camlocks 130gr and 3 blade Muzzys 125gr. They have never failed me. They shoot great. In fact I was shooting today and I found I can go from one broadhead to the other with minimal change in POI (about 1 inch at 20 yards). Still a dead deer, providing I do my part.

When I've done my part all but one deer has dropped within sight, only one wasn't a pass-through. The one that didn't only went forty yards but through thick stuff. The longest went about 100 yards, not a passthrough-lodged in offside shoulder joint(destroying it!!). The shortest travelled ten yards.

I've thought, briefly, about changing broadheads but why??? I know what I am using works and will continue to do so.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Montec G5 for me easy to sharpen in the field if needed..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I didn't read all the post but I agree with Wabi.
Montec G5, Love em!!!
Cut on contact, resharpen, preseason heads.
:lol:
What more could you want.
:lol:
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rob . . .I'm sorry about hijacking your thread here and not answering your question.

You are shooting the same weapon as I am. That actually gives you more options depending on your prey. Here is a chart from Trophy Ridge that explains what I'm talking about.

The website is here . . . http://www.trophyridge.com/

Different broadheads are better suited for different game. So, if you wanted to know which broadhead is better for shooting Moose, then take a look at the size broadhead they suggest for shooting Moose. Then look at other manufacturers for comparative broadheads. Of course, this chart is speaking in general terms. . .it's not specific to your weapon.

I'll be using the Stricknines for Whitetail Deer this fall from my Exomax because of the reasons I outlined in this thread. However, there are a ton of very good options in both fixed blade and mechanical broadheads.

If you are debating a couple of different choices, then I would suggest calling the manufacturer or emailing. Ask them opinions based on your weapon and prey. I've found most have a very good tech dept. and are happy to answer questions.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
widowman

Post by widowman »

sumner4991 wrote:widowman . . .I appreciate your input, however, if you can, try and keep this a civil, intelligent debate.

Sorry if you think I'm being less than civil or intelligent.

However, I don't know how to sugar coat the info you have provided.

If the blades are breaking and you are not getting pass thrus I can't see why you would be promoting those heads. I am guessing you are new to this, because neither one of those characteristics are considered positives.

The items that you considered positives of mechanical heads (accuracy and speed) vary so little when compared to fixed and/or replacement blade heads that it is hardly worth mentioning. When applying these factors to a hunting condition, they are even less noticeable, due to the inherently short range shots. Also, if you can't get complete penetration, a mechanical head is the last one you want to shoot because the blades may fold back up, when inside the deer, and all that extra cutting area will not cut a thing.

IMO, your experience with a gut shot deer dropping in 20 yards and a lung shot deer dropping on the spot are anomalies rather than the norm.

Maybe we should agree to disagree, because you certainly are swaying me with your argument.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

widowman . . .are you serious? Maybe you should simply read this thread.

We don't disagree at all. No where did I say you were wrong.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
widowman

Post by widowman »

sumner4991 wrote:widowman . . .are you serious? Maybe you should simply read this thread.

We don't disagree at all. No where did I say you were wrong.
I never thought you accused me of being wrong. My comment on agreeing to disagree was just my attempt to keep things "civil"

I hope you realize that it is nothing personal. Heck I don't even know you.

It is none of my concern what anyone chooses to shoot, that is a personal choice. If that is the best head for you, go for it.