Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Beech

Broadheads

Post by Beech »

I have been using thunderheads 100's for alot of years .I would like too try a different head out of my exomag. Does anyone have any suggestions of a 100 grain head I could try? thanx Rob
Beech

Post by Beech »

Sorry wrong bow, Ihave an exomax .....Thanx Rob
Normous

Post by Normous »

Slick Trick 100 1 1/8" four blade.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rob . . .why do you want to switch?

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

slick trick

or the rage expandables
wabi

Post by wabi »

G-5 Outdoors Montec
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

I am currently shooting G5 Montec's

I have some vented Magnus 2 blade's on the way for my vert bow so I thought I would try those also
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Isis

Broadheads

Post by Isis »

I have always used Cabelas Laser Supreme 100grs, in my Exomag. About $20 a pack of 6.
Wouldn't think of using anything else.
saxman

Post by saxman »

So many good choices out there
I guess thats a good thing.

I am going to both extremes in my testing

I want to try the latest Mechanical BH's and also the old fashioned 2 blade Magnus (I already know I will like these)
Thousands of years of testing cant be wrong
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I'm using the Montec G5 and am happy with it. Reliable one piece design and no moving parts to fail. Oh did I just slam expandables. Sorry but when your probably only going to get one shot you need to make it count.
Why ride when you can walk!
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

groundpounder wrote:I'm using the Montec G5 and am happy with it. Reliable one piece design and no moving parts to fail. Oh did I just slam expandables. Sorry but when your probably only going to get one shot you need to make it count.
Funny man . . .that's the same reasoning I have with using a mechanical. :lol: I only get one shot, I want it to be with the fastest, most accurate broadhead available and when it hits, I like hearing that BIG POP that you can only get with a LARGE cut mechanical. Oh yeah, I don't like tracking a deer either.

Wait and see, as the large cut mechanicals start getting more use, we'll see articles about knockdown power in archery digest. :shock: The large cuts puts a deer on the dirt in a hurry. :twisted:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I'm a very mechanical person and realize that mechanics can and will fail. For the same reasoning most of us are using Excalibur Crossbows. Simpler is sometimes better! Less moving parts and pieces, less chance for failure.
I will agree that a large cutting diameter is best, but for me I am not going to jeapordise reliability.
Why ride when you can walk!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

groundpounder wrote:Less moving parts and pieces, less chance for failure.
I will agree that a large cutting diameter is best, but for me I am not going to jeapordise reliability.
Same argument holds true for riding a bicycle instead of driving a car. :wink: I didn't see very many bikes out there today. :lol:

There are pros and cons for mechanical and fixed blade broadheads. However, the moving parts argument isn't a very good one. That boils down to how well the broadhead is made and the materials used. There are some weakly made fixed blade broadheads out there too. Especially the replaceable blade broadheads. Same goes for mechanicals . . .good ones and not so good.

However, if we base an argument on the best vs. the best, then I see only one con as far as mechanicals go. The blades are weaker on the best mechanical vs. the best fixed blade. That con doesn't bother me too much, I'll take a bent blade and a dead deer, every time. But, then I look at the pros. The mechanical will be a tad bit faster. . . no blades to resist the wind. The big blades are more than just an advantage for the mechanicals, they are the killer advantage. You have 25% more cutting surface on average. That is an awesome number when you think about the type of killing we are doing. Then there is the accuracy . . .there is no way a fixed blade will be as accurate in hunting conditions.

Now I say most guys that are arguing against mechanicals are going about it the same way compound bow guys are arguing about crossbows . . .without the knowledge of actually using one.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:
groundpounder wrote:Less moving parts and pieces, less chance for failure.
Same argument holds true for riding a bicycle instead of driving a car. :wink: I didn't see very many bikes out there today. :lol:
LMAO.. I spit my milk over the screen reading that LOL

I like both, but I havent had any issues with the rage heads.. I have read about failures in other styles, but the newest expandables out dont see to be having issues.