how to judge the target distance from a tree stand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cbruce

how to judge the target distance from a tree stand?

Post by cbruce »

This question I think 99% of members here can answer it for me. Suppose I am on a treestand, a deer is on the ground in front of me. I aim at it through my scope on my cb. The question is shall I use the distance between the deer and the root of my tree(the horizontal distance), or the distance between the deer and myself to match the aiming point in my scope? (center of cross is 20 yard, first lower point is 30 yard, etc.)
widowman

Post by widowman »

horizontal distance.
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

widowman wrote:horizontal distance.
Thanks!
wabi

Post by wabi »

From the height of my stands (usually under 15') and at the distances I frequently shoot deer (under 20 yards) I find very little need to worry about the small difference in the point of impact.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

most rangefinders come with the angle adjustment in them now to help with true distance. Its normally 300bucks for one with that feature though
JRS

Post by JRS »

Whenever you shoot up or down hill you want the horizontal distance.
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

So when up in your stand, can you just yardage the trees around you (if any) straight across rather then the base of the trees?
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

If you hunt from the same spot most of the time; here's what you can do.

Get a tape measure, or a rangefinder if you have one; and measure 10yard, 20yard, 30yard, and 40yard rings around your regular tree.

mark the distances with coloured stakes, or with a shot of coloured spray paint on surrounding trees.

This way; you don't even need a rangefinder while hunting.... you can accurately gauge distances by your placed landmarks.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Exocet77 wrote:So when up in your stand, can you just yardage the trees around you (if any) straight across rather then the base of the trees?
Exactly. As long as you are ranging the horizontal distance, the shot distance is the same.

DuckHunt