LONG YARDAGE SHOTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kelley

LONG YARDAGE SHOTS

Post by Kelley »

I saw in another thread a member said he didn't like to shoot at game farther than 30 yards so not to hyjack that thread I started this one. One of the main reason I bought my Exomax was the advertized good groups out to 60 yards. I intend to shoot a lot in the next month(if I get my scope ring back in time) to be proficent to the outer limits of my bow. Here in So. Centrel IL I had to pass a lot of shots at great BUCKS because I wasn't sure of shots longer than 40 yards. How are your longer yardage groups?
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

With my Exomax, I can get a 3" group at 60yds thats with no upgrades, right out of the box. But I wouldn't be caught dead shooting over 40yds at a deer. I can hit the target all day but when you put a live animal infront of you, a lot of factors can play a role to you screwing up that shot.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

With a 3" group I wouldn't have any problem with a 60 yard shot. I always shoot sitting down with a rest.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Spitfire
huntman

Post by huntman »

Here we go again!
Allan

Post by Allan »

Kelley,

There are almost endless threads on this topic. Being comfortable shooting any bow out to 60 yards is fine, IF your living target does not move...

Look up a few of these threads for some informative reading.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

one of the things i do when i set up is measure or walk off yardages and break a twig or limb or make some kind of marker at the max yardage i will shoot, and in as many directions as needed. i will not fire outside of 40 yards and if it comes in to half that then that is better. the closer the better my chances of success . i find in hunting situations i usually have a pounding heart rate and other symptoms of buck fever that do not exhist in the back yard target shooting. good luck!
thanks philip
dutchhunter

try this

Post by dutchhunter »

i would not have belived it BUT!!!!!!!!! stand down range well of to the side of the target and have somebody shot the bow in to the target from 40 yeards then u will know why we do not shoot at deer past 30 or 40 y u can really hear the arrow coming no sh t it realy amazed me it is no wonder deer have jumped my string at 20 y sometimes MY 2 CENTS but try it . I believewe should no are equipment in side and out this experament will show it in no ansertan tirms
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Yes C bows can shoot out to 60 yards (and beyond). Several factors will depend if you can take game beyond say 40: The velocity of your arrow, your proficiency with the weapon, the disposition of the live target ( hitiing a stationary target is SO much different than a live, alert deer), and most of all the accuracy of your broadhead. Each year I set a personal limit with the primary bow I'll be using. This year it's one that does 355 fps. My limit, out of respect for the target, is 45 yards.
If you've taken up crossbow hunting because it will increase your killing distance, I have a surprise for you: Most modern vertical bows can do as well, while making a lot less noise (increasing the probability the deer won't jump the string). And if you're doing it because you don't have to be quite as proficient.....well, bad call.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I have been CB hunting for 25 yrs. I have been Deer hunting since 1964. I have never lost a deer with any method of hunting. I am an ethical hunter and never attempted a shot beyond the limit of my weapon and will not do so now. I am new to this site and didn't realize there were a lot of other threads on this. I will research them. I limited my shots with my old CB to 40 yrds even tho I could maintain a decent group at 50. I aprecate all the construtive comments but not the Smart-A$$ remarks.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Spitfire
Boo

Post by Boo »

Kelley, these guys mean no harm and I think they were no "smart ass" remarks. I've read their posts for sometime and I think those remarks that you take exception to were at best "tongue in cheek". It may be a fine point to make but again, no harm was intended. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I apologize if I have offended anyone. Boo I am new here and don't want to get off to a bad start but won't be run over by anyone.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Spitfire
Boo

Post by Boo »

No worries whatsoever. You have zero to worry about. Well may be except for the kidding........ and maybe about your first dry-fire! LOL!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

LOL, I have already learned a lot from this forum about my new bow. I am sure I will learn a lot more. Never had a a "Dry-Fire" before. LOL Hope it didn't do any damage.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Spitfire
wabi

Post by wabi »

Kelley,
There's no doubt an Excalibur is plenty accurate enough to shoot tight groups at long ranges. Some of the 100 yard groups I've seen posted here by target shooters are amazing!
But the sad fact is a crossbow (or any bow) is still shooting well below the speed of sound. Even at 350 fps the sound reaches the deer's ears long before the arrow does. What is the maximum range? (now I can sound like a smart a$$, too) Wish I knew!
I've settled on a 30 yard limit with my Phoenix at 300fps. Taking the arrow speed/speed of sound as a comparison % for the two and figuring the increase in yardage would still only allow about a 4 yard increase for maximum.
In other words - if you were comfortable & confident in a 40 yard max with your old crossbow you still aren't going to be able to push it much past 45 yards even with the increased velocity.
It's your decision, and I won't make nasty remarks if you don't agree, but I'd consider keeping shots as close as possible. I've actually killed most of my deer in the 10 - 20 yard range with any bow I've used, and for me the real excitement is those under 10 yards!

If a monster buck walked out at 40 yards, appeared relaxed, and I knew he wasn't going to get any closer would I shoot?.............
I honestly don't know! Probably not, if I thought there was a chance I could get a better (as in closer) shot at him in the future.
wabi
dougedwards

tree stand trajectory

Post by dougedwards »

I actually asked the original question in another thread concerning shooting long distances from a downward angle and wondered about the affect on trajectory. I was suprised that the responses weren't for the most part concerning my question at all, but warning me not to shoot beyond 30 or 40 yards while hunting. While I agree that 60 yards is pushing it, I do believe that a 50 yard shot on a placid whitetail in still wind shooting from a rest is humanely appropriate. Of course as always conditions will dictate the decision.

Also I never mentioned that I would be hunting for whitetails. Would this self imposed restriction apply for pigs and coyotes and all wildlife as well? I wonder.

The notion that a crossbow shooting a 435 grain arrow at 350 fps is not any more capable of shooting accurately and humanely beyond 40 yards than is a vertical bow shooting a 600 grain projectile at 280 fps is just beyond me. 30 yards or so is my limit with my compound but if the proper opportunity presents itself with the right conditions I won't hesitate to consider a 50 or even maybe a 60 yard shot with my Exomax. It would all depend on conditions and the animal that I would be shooting at.

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....romans 8