Stand choice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fork Horn

Stand choice

Post by Fork Horn »

Since we are fast aproching deer season let's get everyone's
2 cents on stand choice.
I have been putting up stands for the last 2 weeks now and have used both my Summit viper climber stand and the Remington 870 ladder stand as well as my gorilla hang on.
They all have there place and are all good stands in my opinion.
I would say the best bang for the buck is the Remington 870 because it is really easy to use and sercure. The Summit viper is the most versital and also very secure. I would recomend this stand if it fits your budget! The "baby" gorilla hang on I could take or leave, I don't find it very secuce and it is very difficult it get set up.
I am interested in what others are using and your opinions on them!
“A hungry dog hunts best”
Lee Trevino

Every time you kill a coyote an angel gets a set of wings. OK, I made that up. But it should be the case.
Mike P
munch

Post by munch »

i spent the extra money last year and bought a lonewolf sit and stand.i was not that happy the first time out but like it more every time i use it .its very light and packs flat on your back so it makes no noise walking threw the bush or when putting it on the tree and climbing. i have a total of 1climber 3 hang on 3 steel ladder stands 7 home made wooden ladder stands and 1 box stand thats only about 8' high. also 2 pop up blinds and and some ground blinds that i make a 5' square out of chicken wire and then use leaves and weeds and grass to stuff in the holes to form the walls they cost about $10 to make and you can put them up anywhere in about 1/2 an hour they change from green to brown as the season passes
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Munch, would you be willing to write a review on the Lone Wolf following the same format I have used for the Summit Viper and the Equalizer?

I consider the Lone Wolf to be one of the premier stands available but I do not have enough experience with the stand as I have only hunted out of one a couple of times. I did love the way the Lone Wolf back packed and the light weight was a true benefit. Also, the rubber belt and camber hook up to the tree is another plus in my book. The draw back that I found was the size of the stand. I am a really big guy and I felt cramped in the stand.

Also, I will try and do the review on the Timbertall Brute Lite this week. It is another stand that dictates serious consideration.
munch

Post by munch »

Mike P i'm 6'2' and last fall i was about 320lbs so that was the only bad thing about the stand. i had gastric bypass on june 19th this year and i am down to about 245 to 250 right know so i should fit the stand a little better this year also the seat was not the best but that to i think was more my prob. than the stand. Mike i have had other climbers before but by far the lonewolf was the best in my opinion
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

lone wolfs just to rich for me.. i like the cheap seats in the 80 and udner price range on clearnace at the end of season:)

I will agree that the 870 stand is a great one for the price, but its mainly for field edges. I bought 3 of those for 54bucks on sale as bass pro last year 8)
fratri

870 safety harness question

Post by fratri »

Does anyone have a problem with the safety harness that came with the 870 stands? I get in it and tighten it up around my body okay but how are you supposed to attach it to the tree? I know that it sounds like a stupid/dumb question but after I have it on, there is only a 5' section of strap hanging down from the top/middle of my back.... there is not clip to engage it after I wrap that 5' section around the tree... the one end is sown to the harness and the other end of the 5' section is just hanging there with nothing at the end.....I was at bass pro today and the guy said to me that just to tie it in a knot around the tree.... didn't make any sense to me.... am I missing a component to this safety harness? Isn't it suppost to wrap itself around the tree and just clip on to me somehow?any explanation of what is wrong is greatly appreciated.... thanks...