Help deciding

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike4725

Help deciding

Post by Mike4725 »

Hello everyone I am new to the site and wanted first to say hello. Second I am stuck trying to decide which xbow to buy. I will be hunting deer and bear. I have been on the site checking things out but still being a newbie at big game hunting don't know what to do. thanks for the input.

Mike
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum. its a matter of opinion i like the phoenix i'm sure others have other opinions
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Welcome Mike. Great site for info and "family" experience in sharing and no question is a stupid question. I just purchased a Exomax from a forum member a few days ago , have used one in the spring gobbler season and enjoy it very much. Lots of "power" uh,uh. ( home improvements show) I am new to the scene as well. Haven't hunted for 10 years until this spring and many changes occurred. But the itch is still there. Good Luck.
N8tr Boy
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Mike4725

Post by Mike4725 »

That is fast responce the two Xbows you guys at talking about at the two I am stuck on.
mikej

Post by mikej »

both are great bows the exomax has more speed and energy which you may want for bear but with the way my phoenix shoots i wouldn't hesitate to take it bear hunting either
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

Part of the newbie club also.. But from what I have read for bear definatley one of the higher FPS CB's .. Do some digging there was a recent thread on broadhead selection for bear.. I have shot Horton Hnter compound and a couple 10 point compounds very nice Xbows but I am so glad I read, read and read some more and went with the Excal's we have now... Whats the owner of Excal say, "keep it simple stupid" Awesome advise..
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend
I shoot an Equinox
I feel it will put down anything as long as I do my part.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum. Now you have made the right choce by getting an Excalibur. They all will work great as long as you do your part. IMO I would not want to buy a bow less than 200 lbs. to hunt bear with.
Saying that I also will add that I have never hunted bear.

That's my 2 cents.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Mike,

You answered your own question: stuck between the Phoenix and Exomax. The answer is simple, compromise and go with the Exocet. It will do anything you need it to.

Rich
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My Phoenix, it's for fun. The Vortex, it's for serious business.
Played with the Equinox for a while but it was too much bow for this 68 yr old body to pull repeatedly. The Phoenix does 280 fps with a 405 gr arrow, the Vortex does 318 with same. Equinox only did 10-15 fps faster. Not worth the strain on my bad back, not to mention more vibration and serving wear.
Also shoot a 355 fps compound.
But, if I had to choose just one (heaven forbid)...it's would be the Vortex.
liaf

Post by liaf »

Phoenix, exocet, e-max which one to use. Phoenix less vibration , noise and speed. Exocet bit more vibration, noise increases a bit and its faster. E-max fast as hell but more noise and vibration than the previous ones. Remember string life as well. If you plan on doing a lot of target shooting the one that pulls less will allow you to shoot all day. I bought my phoenix online as there are no xcal dealers near me. matter a fact no x-bow dealers of any kind as x-bows are practically illegal to use in NYS.I watched the video's on the xcal site and knew I could pull the phoenix and exocet. My only concern was when letting the arrow down you decock it with one arm holding the cocking mechanism while pulling the trigger and I wasn't sure if i could do it that easily. I now realize that i could have done it with an exocet as well. I anticipate getting an exocet over the winter when prices are good. I am fortunate the NJ will allow x-bows for all archers next year and will hunt it as I live about 10 miles from that state. Just make sure you get an STS and custom string for your xcal.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome!
Any of the Excaliburs will work fine for deer or black bear.
I shoot a Phoenix, but you should probably base your decision on your physical size (short statured people generally have an easier time cocking the shorted draw bows - Vixen & Phoenix), and the probable ranges you will be shooting at the game (I like to keep shots under 30 yards with the Phoenix, with an Exomax I might stretch that to 35 or 40 yards).
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i just bought the exocet 200 for here in PA....PA has a 200# limit for xbows so after many many months of homework i went with the exo 200....so far couldn't be happier....i didn't want a compound xbow to where i would need a press to change strings or work on it....so the recurve is a bit longer, i don't hunt from treestands anymore due to my surgery back in august 06 to remove a brain tumor....so things need to be simple for me now....i don't think you can go wrong with any of excalibers xbows IMO.......................bob

Mike4725

Post by Mike4725 »

Thanks for all the input I just came back from one of our dealers and it looks like the Pheonix it will be. the guy I am dealing we knows I hunt from a tree stand and that I am verticaly challenged (short and pudge he calls it). Thanks everyone I can't wait for it to come in.

Mike
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

First of all welcome to the forum. :D All of the excal bows have enough power ,it just comes down to how far do you want to sink the arrow into the ground on the other side . :lol: But seriously living up north there you may want to consider the exocet/vortex for the moose.