anyone hunting steel barrels this year?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

anyone hunting steel barrels this year?

Post by wabi »

Found this video on youtube and thought it was interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3 ... re=related
Not that I plan to get a shot at a trophy barrel (not even sure how to score one), but to me the test showed some interesting results. From the damage to a couple shafts, I'd have to guess the point is not very good at penetrating. A couple others showed the head/blades are not all that strong. Then a few did very well at penetrating and holding up.
I know that the results on live animals would be a lot different in some designs, but it's information that might be useful in forming an opinion on which ones might give better results on real game.
wabi
njxbow

Post by njxbow »

i don't think i'd want to try those trufires. did you notice the poor penetration on that hog. it looked like it only went in about 2 inches
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I was thinking the same thing about that hog. I could have thrown the arrow underhanded and gotten as much penetration.

I know one thing for sure, barrel hunting can get expensive. :lol: However, car hunting looked like a lot of fun . . .did you see the "related video" where the guy was shooting the car door? Arrows were going all the way through and into the opposite side door. There's way more yard cars around than rusty steel barrels . . .I'm going yard car hunting tomorrow, can't wait. :lol:

I don't believe any of these broadheads were made for that type of punishment.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mikej

Post by mikej »

sumner4991 wrote: There's way more yard cars around than rusty steel barrels . . .I'm going yard car hunting tomorrow, can't wait. :lol:
i don't think either one of them would be very good eatin :lol:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

sumner4991 wrote:. . .I'm going yard car hunting tomorrow

You southern boys are so far behind the times. Us Yankees got tired of shooting cars years agol

I thought you might like to see what my Muzzy 125 did to this low flying plane over my treestand.

FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Was the Muzzy on a boomerang? :lol:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Looks more like a disgruntled xwife and a sawzall. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »