Rage broadhead feild test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bradm

Rage broadhead feild test

Post by bradm »

I was out shooting the three and two blade models on my vortex and verticle bow at 60 lbs at various yardages. Anyways I noticed that the blades don't always expand right away when hitting the target sometimes one blade would expand fully on the outside of the target and than when looking on the exit hole, it would be fully expanded on both models. I replaced the rubber o-rings several times just to see if it made a difference. My question is , how many of you that shoot these broadheads have ever happened to them on game animals?
Normous

Post by Normous »

I harvested 2 deer last season with the 3 blade. One went 22 yards and the other about 50. The 3 blade preformed very well with all blades deploying on entry. I smashed through the upper leg bone on the first and a rib on the other. Blades slightly bent. I'll use the same this year.
Always check blade seating in the o-ring before loading,they may unseat during travel.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Rich

Post by Rich »

I shot 4 deer last year with the Rage 2 and all 4 performed as expected. Here is the entrance hole on one of the deer, no doubt that it opened on impact.

Rich
tws75

Post by tws75 »

i took 3 last year with the 2 blade and had no problems at all ill be using them again this year
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

tws75 wrote:i took 3 last year with the 2 blade and had no problems at all ill be using them again this year
only shot one with the 3blade last year and it looked like TNT hit him on both sides;)
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Need hip boots on to keep that blood trail off your pants! I used two blade last year and I never seen such a bleed!
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Dan I don't know if you hunt deer in another state, but two blades in Ohio is illegal. Just an F.Y.I.
bradm

Post by bradm »

Thankyou for the input, I appreciate it. I can't wait untill the opener and see a rage pass completely through the deer, and following those red spray paint lines.
wabi

Post by wabi »

FredBear wrote:Dan I don't know if you hunt deer in another state, but two blades in Ohio is illegal. Just an F.Y.I.
Ohio law says:
Arrows for longbow and crossbow must be tipped with a broadhead not less than 3/4 inch wide while hunting deer or turkey. The arrow tip must have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed.
How would they be illegal?
wabi
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Sorry guys I was wrong. Either I read that wrong years ago or they changed it. I was under the impression it was law for atleast three blades. My mistake :oops: Thank You Wabi!!!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

FredBear wrote:Sorry guys I was wrong. Either I read that wrong years ago or they changed it. I was under the impression it was law for atleast three blades. My mistake :oops: Thank You Wabi!!!!!!
No problem! At least you made me read the laws again, and it never hurts to review the details and read the fine print. :lol:
Not really sure how the law read in past years, but I used the old Bear Razorheads with bleeder blades back in the BC years (before compounds). I think a minimum width was specified, but I can't really remember specifics.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote: Here is the entrance hole on one of the deer, no doubt that it opened on impact.

Rich
Rich, just admitt that you shot yourself in the leg again... :lol: :P
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

The Rage 3-blade head was impressive on the one buck I took with this broadhead last season. I will have a fresh set in my quiver for this season as well.

BUT, I will not be shooting them after this set is used. They are simply not durable enough for repeated use; and too expensive for single use for my checkbook.

I'll explain. The inside of each blade has two contact points. One that contacts the o-ring, and the other that contacts the ferrule when the blade is deployed. See photo:

When the blade is fully deployed if the blade strikes a hard object, like bone, then the aluminum ferrule gets dented at the contact point. See photo:

The dent is at the bottom channel below the O-Ring. If you try with your finger to deploy the blade, you notice that the blade will catch at this nick/dent and will NOT deploy if you shoot it again. In some cases more than one blade is affected like in this photo.

I was very impressed at the hole and damage the Rage 3-blade created. It did leave a massive entrance and exit wound. I am disappointed that the head falls into the expendable 'one shot' category. There are a lot of great broadheads out there that are cheaper AND more durable. I've killed three deer with the same Spitfire. Many other heads perform as well.

DuckHunt
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Thanks DH - great photos and explanation.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

DH, i agree.. the buck i took last year bascially destroyed the head. I never use any head again after a kill anyway though, even with slick tricks. But then again, im not shooting anything unless its going on the wall so my 15buck cost per head is justified LOL. If I do decide to take a doe, ill switch bolts and put a slick trick in, but even after that shot that heads done for me since I dont trust flight after hitting anything with a bhead.

Most will just have to ask theirself.. do you want a massive wound channel and a dead deer along with a damaged head. Or a so so wound channel and a head that could be reused.

now after you think about that, assume the deer you shot is a 130-170inch rack buck

I want the biggest hole I can get :lol: :D Thats my theory anyway